Post your profiles people!

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

kangaroo

Post your profiles people!

Post by kangaroo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:33 pm

All you lurkers out there, give back a bit to the site by posting your profile. These data is the most useful thing that we have on the site.

quizivex

Re: Post your profiles people!

Post by quizivex » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:38 am

Seconded.

Man this has been a boring season so far. I keep track of the forum with the convenient 24 Hours feature. Often whole days go by with no new posts even though we're right in the middle of the application season. We need some lurkers to finally register and participate. :) Maybe we need some trolls to spice things up.

Hmm let's see what was going on 5 years ago... This famous "Don't Become a Scientist" article was under discussion. Worth reading for all you grad school prospies...

photonic

Post by photonic » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 am

If you look at the old admissions page you'll see at this point they're usually still on the first page. In hindsight I posted too early, but I thought I could get the ball rolling. I'm sure a lot of people want to wait until they get some acceptances before posting.

Also I remember reading that !@#$% don't became a scientist piece and it scared the *** out of me (I am variable with my self-censorship). I still think if I were more pragmatic I wouldve done EE or computer science or some mixture thereof but its a little late for that. Postdoc pay is terrible and academia is tough, but I don't think Phds have to be worried about being unemployed. I know one alumni of a school I was looking at got two postdocs (harvard and rutgers) and is now a VP of some financial firm. Granted you start later then your peers but life isnt a race.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:36 am

^^

Not true, in previous years the number of profiles posted is almost 100 at least by this time.

And did you just blatantly change the age-old idiom "life is a race"?! Idioms are not to be abused like that. You should have said, unlike the idiom, I believe life is NOT a race. Don't misquote thy idioms.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:09 am

Ironically, with the post by "alittlebehind" we are now a little ahead of last year in terms of profile count.