Mentioning Papers in Progress?

samanark

Mentioning Papers in Progress?

Post by samanark » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 am

I'm currently finishing up some research and I have a paper in progress but it probably won't be finished by the time I need to submit my applications (almost certainly not in time for the Dec. 15th applications). Do I mention in my SOP that I'm currently working on a paper or no? I would think I should, since it shows I'm going to actually complete a research project but at the same time, will the committees care since I don't actually have anything to show at the moment?

quizivex

Re: Mentioning Papers in Progress?

Post by quizivex » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:54 am

I'd mention it briefly. May or may not help at each institution you apply to, but has a decent chance of getting noticed somewhere, and couldn't possibly hurt. It'd be even better if you have the advisor you're working with to mention it in his recommendation letter.

samanark

Post by samanark » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 am

That's what I figured. I have a sentence saying it's in the works and I also mention I'm giving a poster presentation about it at the AAS meeting. Just a short sentence to finish off the paragraph. I think my advisor will probably say something about it too. He was very enthusiastic about writing a recommendation letter for me when I asked him.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 am

samanark wrote:That's what I figured. I have a sentence saying it's in the works and I also mention I'm giving a poster presentation about it at the AAS meeting. Just a short sentence to finish off the paragraph. I think my advisor will probably say something about it too. He was very enthusiastic about writing a recommendation letter for me when I asked him.

I'm in that exact same situation and I did the same thing. On some of the applications I'm also including a copy of the abstract if they have a spot for uploading "publications."

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:44 pm

I had conferences that I hadn't attended and publications that weren't finished listed on my C.V., with the publication date listed as 'In Prep'. It's common enough in the field I believe.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 pm

samanark wrote:That's what I figured. I have a sentence saying it's in the works and I also mention I'm giving a poster presentation about it at the AAS meeting. Just a short sentence to finish off the paragraph. I think my advisor will probably say something about it too. He was very enthusiastic about writing a recommendation letter for me when I asked him.
If your poster presentation is already confirmed, then it's okay to list a "future" conference on your CV -- by the time they get around to reading it, AAS might have already happened!

samanark

Post by samanark » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:45 pm

AAS is like first or second week of January, so it'll definitely have happened by the time they get around to reading it.

Thanks for the input, guys.