Strange Situation From European Institution

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Darth Frodo

Strange Situation From European Institution

Post by Darth Frodo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:23 am

Hi all,

I am studying for a degree in Maths and Physics in an European university. As part of my course, it is mandatory that I work for a semester in Industry/Somewhere else. A lot of people go to local companies such as Analog Devices and OnSemiconductor. I don't yet know where I will go, I may ask a prof at a prospective grad school for a REU like placement.

My question to you is, would this placement hinder/help my chances at a US grad school? I mean, it's basically 1 semester without any classes.

Tom Joad

Re: Strange Situation From European Institution

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:01 am

Well if you can get an REU like placement I'm sure that will help you....getting more research experience is always a good thing and if you're successful you can get a good letter of recommendation out of it. Besides, if it's required It definitely shouldn't hurt you in the eyes of an admissions committee.
Last edited by Tom Joad on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:12 pm

I think it would really help! My Canadian school had a similar program, except it was a minimum of FOUR semesters (16 months) without classes and we were required to take at least one winter and one fall semester (i.e. one whole school year) off to do work (either in industry or research, depending on our post-degree plans).

It was really helpful because when it was time to apply to grad schools and fellowships, I already had 16 months of full time research experience, plus a lot of LOR options. I think it really strengthened my CV, and while it might be the same as taking a year off between undergrad and grad school to get more research experience, I think the joint program is better because you get to maintain full time student status while working! You also have the school's program office helping you write a strong CV, and help you find placements etc.

So, definitely go for that REU-like placement! I think my similar experience really helped me get into the school I wanted.

Darth Frodo

Post by Darth Frodo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:41 pm

And what if I can't get an REU like placement? What if I have to work in industry?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:57 pm

It's not going to hurt you. You could take a year off and it wouldnt hurt you in the eyes of a committee.

Andromeda

Post by Andromeda » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:58 am

I don't see why on Earth this would hurt you, if anything it will help. Lots of people take all sorts of tracks before they get a PhD (hell there was a guy in his 40s in my program who was a doctor for years before going back) and loads of people work years in industry, teaching, stuff like that...

I mean I myself took a semester off to just go travel around the world. No one minded at all, in fact most thought it was cool and my current adviser bragged to everyone how he had to do an interview with his PhD student while she was in Kathmandu. 8)