Where can I get in? (Profile Evaluation)

metaphyx

Where can I get in? (Profile Evaluation)

Post by metaphyx » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:59 am

Hi,
I am gonna mention my profile below in this mail. Please help me evaluate it and suggest on the schools where I have the greatest chance to get in. I hope you all will help me out.

Undergrad Institution: One of top 10 technology and science institutes, India.
Major(s):Physics
Minor(s):Computer Science
GPA in Major:8.8/10
Overall GPA:8.6/10
Length of Degree:5
Position in Class:near top
Type of Student:Domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):Haven't given my GRE. But I think I can surely manage above 325/340

Research Experience:
-Summer Intern at the CENPA, University of Washington. Worked on the HALO experiment and carried out related simulations using GEANT4. Results may get published in an undergraduate journal.
-Did a study-oriented project(SOP) on "Magnetohydrodynamics and its applications to solar flares". Carried out simulations again for the same project. Went to some research institute to read further on the same topic.
-Currently doing a SOP on the problem of "Random Walks".
-Completed physics project lab(PPL) elective and simulated "Non-Linear Triple Pendulum" and studied its behavior.
-Carried out numerous other simulations as part of other courses.
-Will be going for a 6 months-1 year undergraduate thesis during my 5th year.
-(Irrelevant) 2-month summer intern at TCOE, India where I worked on "Telecom Security and Common Criteria Certification".

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
-Receiving INSPIRE Scholarship sponsored by DST, Govt. of India.
-Was selected for the Indian Academy of Sciences (IAS) fellowship but was unable to attend it.
-Member of APS.

[b]Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
-Lab PA for the course "Non-Linear Dynamics and Chaos".
-PA for the course "Classical Mechanics".

[b]Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:
-Worked for 1 year in the "Depart of Journalism and Media Affairs" at my school.
-Worked for 2 other departments but for a brief period of time.
-Volunteer for "SERC Prep. School in HEP" organized at my school.
-Volunteer for some event by "Indian Association of Physics Teachers" (IAPT)
-Won a competition at tech-fest of my school.
-Started the "Physics Society" newsletter at my school.
-Volunteered at a NGO for 6 months.
[b]Special Bonus Points:Will get decently good recommendations. They cannot be considered extra-ordinary.

School- Research Interest: Interest mostly lies in experimental & computational physics and quantum computation.

bfollinprm

Re: Where can I get in? (Profile Evaluation)

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:16 am

metaphyx wrote:Hi,
I am gonna mention my profile below in this mail. Please help me evaluate it and suggest on the schools where I have the greatest chance to get in. I hope you all will help me out.
That's as far as I got so that's as far as I'll quote. Based on this, you might be interested in the following institutions:

http://www.cpe-k6.org/
http://www.rcpschools.org/
http://www.futuroprep.org/

I hear they really give you a leg up on your future, and help you learn to think and discover things for yourself!

metaphyx

Post by metaphyx » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:46 am

I need a serious answer @bfollingprm. Don't give me links for preparatory schools.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:09 am

metaphyx wrote:I need a serious answer @bfollingprm. Don't give me links for preparatory schools.
I'm going to be uncharacteristically nice and explain bfollingprm's response.

The question you asked can be easily answered on your own. You are asking people to do a lot of work for you and with too little information about what your specific criteria are for a program. Look through the applicant profiles, look through department webpages to figure out what specific research groups interest you and then maybe you can ask for some specific advice. Until then, nobody on the forum will give you a helpful answer.

But, in the spirit of friendship, here is a link that might help get you started: http://tiny.cc/khu2iw