i dont know what universities to apply to for phd in physics

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Thedarksoul

i dont know what universities to apply to for phd in physics

Post by Thedarksoul » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:46 pm

i am international student. i have master degree in physics with GPA 3.4 and bachelor GPA 3.1 my gre scores Q:790 P:900. do u think i have a cjance of getting accepted at universities like prinecton, yale, clemson, ohio state, utah, for phd in physics and if not what universities i should apply to.

mrrsnhtl

Re: i dont know what universities to apply to for phd in physics

Post by mrrsnhtl » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Yes, you have a chance to be accepted.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:51 pm

@Thedarksoul

Yes, you have a very good chance. I have seen many international students with similar scores and GPA's in the profile threads get accepted to those schools. You should look into MIT also... you'll almost certainly be admitted there because most of MIT's incoming grad students don't even have a master's degree and you do. They'll be so impressed.

Be sure to apply to some more safety schools such as the UC's, Penn State and Maryland, just in case.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:31 am

You should also consider applying to Harvard's prestigious scholarship which offers an extra 20k per year on top of their fellowship. With your credentials, I strongly believe you have a great chance!

blighter

Post by blighter » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:09 pm

I think you should apply for the faculty opening at Harvard. They surely can't reject you with your creds.

Thedarksoul

does having a master degree matters for the phd admission

Post by Thedarksoul » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:37 pm

i have a master degree in physics(courses+ theses) and i have one publication as a first author i dont know if having master degree matters so much for the phd application or its just( okay).

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 pm

It's always ironically amusing to see all these aspiring physicists who are somehow adverse to doing their own research into available data for their grad school applications.