How to judge the fame of your potential advisor?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Joe_Fraizer

How to judge the fame of your potential advisor?

Post by Joe_Fraizer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:29 am

I hear that how well known your advisors/recommenders plays a big factor when applying for PhD and the life after the PhD with said prof.
But what counts as a well-known or famous professor? I am asking because I want to do a PhD with a professor at University of Hawaii who I know personally and I like him a lot, but I have a good enough resume to get into a top 40-30 University.
Maybe his reputation would counter the not-so-stellar reputation of UHM?

bfollinprm

Re: How to judge the fame of your potential advisor?

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:28 am

I want to do a PhD with a professor at University of Hawaii who I know personally and I like him a lot
The most important thing when getting a postdoc is publication history. If you and this prof work well together, then it shouldn't matter the reputation of him or the school; you should go work for him. Making decisions like these will make your PhD infinitely more enjoyable, and if you have a good relationship with your advisor it will be much easier to get papers out anyway.

King Vitamin

Re: How to judge the fame of your potential advisor?

Post by King Vitamin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:16 pm

The best bet is to figure out where their former students went. This usually comes to water cooler gossip type conversations with other students (though I suppose it shouldn't be impolite to ask a potential advisor where their students went).

EDIT: I'll add that I've heard stories of very famous professors getting their former students subpar postdocs.