Physics Gre free flash cards.

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

tweetie_brid

Physics Gre free flash cards.

Post by tweetie_brid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:03 am

I have some good info. But I need help from you guys.

First Case western reserve has some free gre flashcards for physics. Here is the link : http://www.phys.cwru.edu/flashCards/

Okay here is the help I need. I got my BS in physics about 15 years ago.. I had a lower GPA. But anyway with my work experience, I am still going to get accepted to a physics MS program

I need to review undergraduate physics in aboiut 6 months. I am going to take the physics gre exam to see where I stand.

My plans are to study Halliday and Resnick and the solutions manual for about 6 months solid, and start the MS program, leading to a Phd.

Tell me , where can I get Halliday and Resnick editions.

Does anyone have any other ideas about undergraduate research, such as thermal, or quantum textbooks.

Anyway enjoy the FREE FLASH CARDS.

TakeruK

Re: Physics Gre free flash cards.

Post by TakeruK » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:36 am

Use Amazon or your favourite online bookstore to search for the title. Note that the original text, in the 60s was Physics by Halliday & Resnick. Then newer versions added a third author (Krane) and even newer versions was renamed "Fundamentals of Physics" and had Walker as the third author instead.

Here is the version that my undergrad physics course used: http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Volume-1- ... 0471320579 -- the link is just Volume 1, there is a Volume 2 as well. That price isn't very good though, I remember paying something more like ~$150 for both Volumes.

I think all first year level books are about the same, so use whatever is easiest for you to find!

Are you entering a MS program this fall, or do you mena you want to apply to MS programs for this fall? First year level books such as Halliday & Resnick are good for studying for GREs, but you probably want to move on past that if you are entering MS studies.

tweetie_brid

Post by tweetie_brid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks for the book advice. Do I need a book on Quantum Mech. or even atomic

Here is what I will study

1) Halliday & resnick volume one (this has no quantum though

2)

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:47 am

My undergrad first year physics used both Volumes 1 and 2. But actually, maybe you want to try using this new book mentioned on these forums here: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... 75&p=41547

It's an interesting textbook -- instead of a traditional book with questions, it is a collection of undergraduate physics course notes, with some cleaning up and polishing. The link to the forum topic above also contains a link to purchase the book for 50% (Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book because I volunteered to write a review on this forum, but I'm not affiliated with the book in any way).

You would still need other books to get practice questions and solutions, but it's something to try.

As for quantum, you will need to study a little bit of it. I would recommend the first 5 chapters of Griffiths textbook, but particularly knowing how to calculate an expectation value from the wavefunction, understanding orthogonality, and if given a wavefunction that is a linear combination of eigenstates, finding the probability of a given eigenstates. Those are the common GRE questions in my experience.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:24 am

Physics GRE flash cards are also available here: http://www.physicsgrad.com/printable-pgre-flash-cards

And in digital format here: http://www.physicsgrad.com/flash-cards

Izaac

Post by Izaac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:56 pm

It might be a good idea to offer those as an Anki deck, instead of printable cards.

eshaw13

Post by eshaw13 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:19 am

I found an error on the card Quantum Momentum Operator. On the back is the following:
$$\hat{p} = \frac{\hbar}{i}\vec{\bigtriangledown}\psi$$
It should be:
$$\hat{\vec{p}} = \frac{\hbar}{i}\vec{\bigtriangledown}$$.
This is a vector operator so there should be a vector sign some place.
Otherwise, thanks for these cards. I'll let you know if I notice anything else going through them.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:39 pm

eshaw13 wrote:I found an error on the card Quantum Momentum Operator. On the back is the following:
$$\hat{p} = \frac{\hbar}{i}\vec{\bigtriangledown}\psi$$
It should be:
$$\hat{\vec{p}} = \frac{\hbar}{i}\vec{\bigtriangledown}$$.
This is a vector operator so there should be a vector sign some place.
Otherwise, thanks for these cards. I'll let you know if I notice anything else going through them.
The symbol is bold to indicate it is a vector operator.