Math major, Can I get into physics graduate school if I take

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bloodlust

Math major, Can I get into physics graduate school if I take

Post by bloodlust » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:26 am

I am interested in physics. I have a degree in mathematics, and graduated 2 years ago. I don 't know why, but the analytic bug in me lead me to read some physics books, and do some physics problem. I really joy it. In college, I did all the engineer lower division physics classes. I like doing physics problems, but I want it to be worth something. If I take the gre physics test, will I be able to get into physic graduate school? What else can people like me make money out of doing physics problems ( short of a BS, or a PhD in physics?)

CarlBrannen

Re: Math major, Can I get into physics graduate school if I take

Post by CarlBrannen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:04 pm

bloodlust wrote:I am interested in physics. I have a degree in mathematics, and graduated 2 years ago. I don 't know why, but the analytic bug in me lead me to read some physics books, and do some physics problem. I really joy it. In college, I did all the engineer lower division physics classes. I like doing physics problems, but I want it to be worth something. If I take the gre physics test, will I be able to get into physic graduate school? What else can people like me make money out of doing physics problems ( short of a BS, or a PhD in physics?)
Without a degree, it's pretty hopeless, unless you start doing engineering. But you can go to physics grad school with an undergraduate degree in math / no physics minor. I did it.

It's worthwhile to pick up Halliday & Resnick or a similar 1st year physics book and work the problems. This will help a lot on the PGRE. Also see various advice on this site.

Minovsky

Re: Math major, Can I get into physics graduate school if I take

Post by Minovsky » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:23 pm

If you're a maths major, I'm fairly confident that you could dive right in to intermediate-level physics texts (e.g. Griffiths, Goldstein, etc.) IMHO, 1st year physics problems are the most mind-numbingly, tedious, boring exercises you could subject yourself to. You've already taken 1st year physics, there's no need to go through it again. Maybe skim through Halliday & Resnick to refresh your memory, but you should be able to handle higher level physics.