... one more year?

baconface

... one more year?

Post by baconface » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Hey guys, I'm wondering how much difference I would see hypothetically reapplying next year. My current stats are on the 2012 applicant profile thread near the bottom of the 2nd page.

The difference will be:
* The grades from this semester [QM2, Solid State, Adv. Lab]
* A publication submitted to AJP & hopefully published summer-ish
* Full time research (and perhaps even a class) over summer
* Another semester (taking grad classes, doing research with one or two additional groups, retaking PGRE, etc)

I'm assuming the following for a hypothetical amendments to my profile:
Physics GPA: ~3.8 <-- Thinking about Grad E&M plus atomic and/or electronics
Overall GPA: ~3.3
PGRE: ~ 75+%
Additional Research: ~10 months w/ 1-2 additional groups. Both quant comp (atom trapping &/or josephson junctions).
Publications: Assume only the pub I'm working on now. Senior thesis will likely not be published.

Assuming I pretty much get straight A's and bust my ass with the research, what chances do people think I'll have? My GPA is irreparably damaged, but I figure an A in E&M might quell some of the unsettling feelings about my straight B's in math classes. I also want to get more electronics experience and apply to EE PhD/MS programs.

Now, for the reason this is in the School Selection thread. I might only be looking at schools in Michigan. Unfortunately, unless I do some miracle networking the Physics PhD is out of my reach (feel free to disagree :wink: ). Betting Applied Physics and EECS PhD will be more of the same. Does anyone know if I could get into Michigan (Ann Arbor) EE Masters with that kind of profile? Maybe Michigan State Phys/EE?

Also, My gf is likely going to UM-AA, so maybe I could get to know some of the faculty... maybe even impress them slightly? 8)

Thanks for your input guys

bfollinprm

Re: ... one more year?

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:54 pm

baconface wrote:Hey guys, I'm wondering how much difference I would see hypothetically reapplying next year. My current stats are on the 2012 applicant profile thread near the bottom of the 2nd page.

The difference will be:
* The grades from this semester [QM2, Solid State, Adv. Lab]
* A publication submitted to AJP & hopefully published summer-ish
* Full time research (and perhaps even a class) over summer
* Another semester (taking grad classes, doing research with one or two additional groups, retaking PGRE, etc)

I'm assuming the following for a hypothetical amendments to my profile:
Physics GPA: ~3.8 <-- Thinking about Grad E&M plus atomic and/or electronics
Overall GPA: ~3.3
PGRE: ~ 75+%
Additional Research: ~10 months w/ 1-2 additional groups. Both quant comp (atom trapping &/or josephson junctions).
Publications: Assume only the pub I'm working on now. Senior thesis will likely not be published.

Assuming I pretty much get straight A's and bust my ass with the research, what chances do people think I'll have? My GPA is irreparably damaged, but I figure an A in E&M might quell some of the unsettling feelings about my straight B's in math classes. I also want to get more electronics experience and apply to EE PhD/MS programs.

Now, for the reason this is in the School Selection thread. I might only be looking at schools in Michigan. Unfortunately, unless I do some miracle networking the Physics PhD is out of my reach (feel free to disagree :wink: ). Betting Applied Physics and EECS PhD will be more of the same. Does anyone know if I could get into Michigan (Ann Arbor) EE Masters with that kind of profile? Maybe Michigan State Phys/EE?

Also, My gf is likely going to UM-AA, so maybe I could get to know some of the faculty... maybe even impress them slightly? 8)

Thanks for your input guys
You should have a chance in reapplying with the quoted specs above, assuming quality letters. If you're going to be hanging around in the summer anyway, trying to get some (volunteer) work done at UM is probably a good idea; if a prof likes your work over the summer you'll be assured admission. If your gf is in the physics department, that'll work in your favor (especially if you're on the bubble), so mention it in your SoP. I've heard it from enough sources to believe that admissions committees really do care about the happiness of their students, both current and future.