Binocular Vision

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

nuimshaan

Binocular Vision

Post by nuimshaan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:39 pm

If I had a really good pair of binoculars and could actually see what was happening on the surface of another planet...would I be seeing what was going on right then...like while I was standing there using those binoculars, was I seeing things on the surface of the planet as they were right then...or was I seeing into the past?

Let's say for example we radio one of our moon bases, and tell them to suit up at noon tomorrow..Earth time..use a good set of binoculars..and see if they can see me outside tomorrow at noon using my binoculars to see if they are obeying orders...would we see each other at the same time?

What happens if the moon was light years away...simply located over there instead of here...what would happen tomorrow at noon....let's say the astronauts didn't even know we moved them way over there...they just followed orders and were outside with their binoculars at noon tomorrow...and so are we tomorrow at noon with ours...let's assume our binoculars are good enough to at least see the moon, even though it's way over there...

mrrsnhtl

Re: Binocular Vision

Post by mrrsnhtl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:17 am

nuimshaan wrote:If I had a really good pair of binoculars and could actually see what was happening on the surface of another planet...would I be seeing what was going on right then...like while I was standing there using those binoculars, was I seeing things on the surface of the planet as they were right then...or was I seeing into the past?

Let's say for example we radio one of our moon bases, and tell them to suit up at noon tomorrow..Earth time..use a good set of binoculars..and see if they can see me outside tomorrow at noon using my binoculars to see if they are obeying orders...would we see each other at the same time?

What happens if the moon was light years away...simply located over there instead of here...what would happen tomorrow at noon....let's say the astronauts didn't even know we moved them way over there...they just followed orders and were outside with their binoculars at noon tomorrow...and so are we tomorrow at noon with ours...let's assume our binoculars are good enough to at least see the moon, even though it's way over there...
Well you are talking about carrying "information", which is presumed to travel at the speed of light "c", at most. Any information which exceeds c while traveling would violate the Causality Principle, e.g. after you see a flashlight, you could send a massage to the person who holds it "never open the flashlight" BEFORE he opens it. And if he does not open it, how would you see it and send the message?! It is a paradox, which is caused by some information which had traveled with a speed more than the speed of light.

So returning to your example, your radio signal would propagate at c in space and reach the moon after X years, if it is X light years away. Thus, the astronauts would suit up after X years and 1 day after you send the signal. You have to wait that much time in earth-time as well.

edit: Well I have just noticed, there is some problem with my flashlight example, you would not send a message before the event if the light have reached you already. However, I hope you've got the message. (If you don't I'll manipulate my example)

nuimshaan

Post by nuimshaan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:44 pm

This one is hard for me to reason out. Let's say there is a planet several light years away from us..physically speaking the planet is "alive" at the same time we are right now. It's over there. And we are over here.

Say we had a pair of binoculars, and I pointed to where it is...I say hey it's over there man while pointing at it with my finger...it's about 10 light years away.

You take those binoculars and zoom in until you are able to see it...I say do you see it man? You say yes! I see it...it's really clear today I can even see some water on it.

We know both the planet we are on, and the one we are looking at are existing at the same time in the universe.

If you were able to zoom in with binoculars, and actually see it like you see things looking through an ordinary pair of binoculars...wouldn't you be seeing it right then?

For example:

You stand on one end of a railroad track, and someone holding a flashlight stands on the other end of the tracks. Without using your binoculars, you see a delay in the time it takes for the light to reach you...but if you were zoomed in on him, staring at him close up with your binoculars before he turned the flashlight on and off, wouldn't you see him turn it on and off as if he were standing right next to you? No delay in the time you see the flash of light?

Nuimshaan

blighter

Post by blighter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:13 am

nuimshaan wrote:
You stand on one end of a railroad track, and someone holding a flashlight stands on the other end of the tracks. Without using your binoculars, you see a delay in the time it takes for the light to reach you...but if you were zoomed in on him, staring at him close up with your binoculars before he turned the flashlight on and off, wouldn't you see him turn it on and off as if he were standing right next to you?
Nuimshaan
No.

nuimshaan

Post by nuimshaan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:46 am

But when he did turn it on and off...because you were looking at him as if he were standing next to you...wouldn't you see the light flicker right then?

mrrsnhtl

Post by mrrsnhtl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:02 am

nuimshaan wrote:You stand on one end of a railroad track, and someone holding a flashlight stands on the other end of the tracks. Without using your binoculars, you see a delay in the time it takes for the light to reach you...but if you were zoomed in on him, staring at him close up with your binoculars before he turned the flashlight on and off, wouldn't you see him turn it on and off as if he were standing right next to you? No delay in the time you see the flash of light?
What do you think zooming changes? It is just an optical illusion that makes you think the object is nearer.

nuimshaan

Post by nuimshaan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:08 pm

Peradventure, it may change how soon you see the flashlight get turned on. Like if you are able to focus in on him before he turns it on and off, and really get your binoculars zoomed to where you are seeing him in real time...

mrrsnhtl

Post by mrrsnhtl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:44 am

Zooming does not pop out your eyes from their holes and get them closer to the target (if it did, you may have had a point)..It just causes a bigger image of the target to fall on your retina.

nuimshaan

Post by nuimshaan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:04 pm

You made me cop a visual of my eyes popping out of my head...that was awesome! LMAO... You guys really crack me up.

What's up with the red rain? Don't worry, just keep on praying, meditating, burning incense....I like those incense that relax you. If you have any problem with the skin, just use sulfur. I know it stinks, but it works really well.

The incense is helpful and has some medicinal value.
If I know you guys like I think...you are very well educated about medicine.

I would like to share some of my knowledge with you....free of charge.

Have you ever heard of Ambrotrose? It is a glyconutrient. It is developed by the MannaTech foundation, and it is quite good for cellular strength and memory. It is thought to trigger a reaction in our white blood cells, much like the feeling after eating some very good food, that is very good for you. This reaction of the white blood cells is an indicator that ambrotrose is a glyco-nutrient. It feeds white blood cells quite well, and these are our army. It is made of a special tree called the Larch Tree, Or Lar-ix Decid-u-a. Combined with this wood is the gel from aloe vera plants, and a type of mushroom called mannapol.

Another type of medicine is found growing on the cedar trees, and it is called Varnish Conche. It is white on the bottom and a shiny stained wood color on the top exposed to sunlight. It's toxicity level is so low, it acts as a sponge to absorb and nuetralize Toxins.

A similar type of medicine is found in the water....It is simply known as Conk. The Conk Shell grows in a similar fashion to that which grows on cedar trees, except it grows on the ocean floor. You can grind the Conk shell into a powder, mixed with some glycerin gel to produce a skin cream that is quite amazing..It has been noted to remove old scars from the body. The Spanish people call it Concha Naccar. They use oyster shell, which is another type of Conk.

The Varnish Conk that grows on trees can be ground into a powder to make tea with. The taste is bitter because of it's low toxicity, or low acidic base. Add Ambrotose Complex to the tea also to strengthen white blood cells while removing toxins from the body. To excite this process, it is good to exercise a little...that helps.

Sulfur can be ingested directly to quickly remove a lot of skin irritations, bacterias, and viruses. It seems as though the crystals in sulfur may have a diatomic effect on micro-parasites. Also, the smell seems to have an adverse effect on micro-parasites.

Nuimshaan