How do you withdraw an application, practically speaking?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

aggle

How do you withdraw an application, practically speaking?

Post by aggle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Do you just email the admissions contact? How do they verify that it's really you, and not some crazy competitor pretending to be you?

midwestphysics

Re: How do you withdraw an application, practically speaking?

Post by midwestphysics » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Most of them have a cancel/decline option in their online system even before your decision is available, if they use a functional online system. If not an email, which should display the email address you gave them, should work. You could include your app confirmation number just as a precaution.... And, most people don't know the other people applying, so I doubt there is much chance of being able to know enough info on them to be able to verify who you are.

asdfuogh

Post by asdfuogh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Why withdraw an application? Do you get the money back?

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:40 pm

asdfuogh wrote:Why withdraw an application? Do you get the money back?
I always say what the heck, see what happens and then cancel. However, some people get into their top choices before a safety comes back in which case they feel why not cancel it since they won't be considering the school now.

aggle

Post by aggle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:43 pm

midwestphysics wrote:Most of them have a cancel/decline option in their online system even before your decision is available, if they use a functional online system.
Thanks for the email advice. Re: online withdrawals, in my 14 applications, I haven't seen a "withdraw" option on any of them so I didn't even know it was a possibility.
asdfuogh wrote:Why withdraw an application? Do you get the money back?
Out of politeness to the admissions committee, and the applicants who are legitimately interested in attending the school I'd like to withdraw from.
Last edited by aggle on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:49 pm

aggle wrote:
midwestphysics wrote:Most of them have a cancel/decline option in their online system even before your decision is available, if they use a functional online system.
Thnaks for the email advice. Re: online withdrawals, in my 14 applications, I haven't seen a "withdraw" option on any of them so I didn't even know it was a possibility.
I'm sure that completely depends on the school, I know over half of mine had some form of an option along those lines. For any of them though, an email should suffice.

I should add that if it's just a app status portal they may not offer the decline option. If I remember correctly the ones that did displayed your app status on a larger system that you even used after acceptance for registration and what-not.

asdfuogh

Post by asdfuogh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Ah, yes, I can see the respect part after getting into the top choices. Just that, you know, I am not as qualified so I don't know the feeling of being able to do that.. :(