Need advice regarding further studies

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

sambitdwivedi

Need advice regarding further studies

Post by sambitdwivedi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi guys,
I am currently pursuing my engineering in one of the reputed colleges of india in electrical engineering.
but i want to do my M.S in physics(to be specific Astrophysics)

so i need help regarding my future plans, i.e. how much to score in GRE and how much in the subject test, which universities to opt, what about scholarships.

i will appreciate any help..

Thnxx in advance :D

P-representation

Re: Need advice regarding further studies

Post by P-representation » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:38 am

Hello Sambit,

I hope I can answer your queries satisfactorily.

Q1) How much to score in GRE?
A1): As high as possible

Q2) How much in subject test?
A2): Again, as high as possible, preferably >900

Q3) Which universities to opt for?
A3) Google: MS in Astrophysics in US

Q4) What about scholarships?
A4) Search this forum for "MS Scholarships"

Hope it helped! :D

GradSchoolShopper

Re: Need advice regarding further studies

Post by GradSchoolShopper » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:41 am

sambitdwivedi wrote:Hi guys,
I am currently pursuing my engineering in one of the reputed colleges of india in electrical engineering.
but i want to do my M.S in physics(to be specific Astrophysics)

so i need help regarding my future plans, i.e. how much to score in GRE and how much in the subject test, which universities to opt, what about scholarships.

i will appreciate any help..

Thnxx in advance :D
It depends which program you want to go to. Of course, as high as you can in all scores wil be the best, but some schools have different requirements.

You can browse the "Astrophysics" category in gradschoolshopper and see what schools offer. The information comes directly from the departments, and is accurate for 2012:
http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/gradsc ... ubmit.y=14

These are the schools with either "Astronomy" or "Astrophysics" specialties, that give Masters degrees. You can go to the search page and look for schools also by other specialties, states etc.

The second thing I think you should pay attention to is the "requirements" for the admissions. Some schools will expect you to have certain physics courses in your undegrad. If that's the case, you can start thinking of taking these courses as an "extra" to your current degree to improve your chances of acceptance.

Hope that helps, and good luck!