Back to School... Good Idea/Bad Idea?

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

Mr Magnetic Monopole

Back to School... Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Post by Mr Magnetic Monopole » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm wondering if anyone else browsing this form is in a similar boat. I graduated a while ago (1998) with an undergrad in physics and math, did some engineering work, got an MBA and a JD. Now I'm an attorney in a pretty good spot (think F100 company) doing transactional work... but I am bored to death.

I am seriously considering going back for a Masters (and quite possibly a PhD) in Physics. That leads me to two questions:

1. Am I insane?

2. Has anyone dusted off the cobwebs after almost 13 years... I haven't touched good old Mr. Schrodinger's equation since May of 1998.

midwestphysics

Re: Back to School... Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Post by midwestphysics » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Mr Magnetic Monopole wrote:I'm wondering if anyone else browsing this form is in a similar boat. I graduated a while ago (1998) with an undergrad in physics and math, did some engineering work, got an MBA and a JD. Now I'm an attorney in a pretty good spot (think F100 company) doing transactional work... but I am bored to death.

I am seriously considering going back for a Masters (and quite possibly a PhD) in Physics. That leads me to two questions:

1. Am I insane?

2. Has anyone dusted off the cobwebs after almost 13 years... I haven't touched good old Mr. Schrodinger's equation since May of 1998.
To an extent it's like riding a bike, if you're serious about it you'll pick it all back up, you'll just have to put in the time to refresh your memory. As for your insanity, you have to ask yourself can you even afford to go. I'm not talking about paying for it, I'm talking about going from probably pretty well off to at the poverty level where grad students linger. I'm guessing you're about 34-35, and you've not only become accustomed to a certain lifestyle you might have financially dug yourself into it. There's little chance you'll ever make the same money to cover the bills you might have now. That's just one of the many things you have to seriously consider.

Mr Magnetic Monopole

Re: Back to School... Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Post by Mr Magnetic Monopole » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks Midwest. I appreciate the sanity check. Fortunately I live in an area with a couple Universities that are close. I contacted the Physcis Chair of one and pretty much said "Hey- I can't quit work, but I want a masters. Is there any chance I could do it on a less than full time basis?" They were open to allowing me to work on it ad hoc provided that I met all of the other admission requirements (PGRE, recommendations, undergrad grades, etc.).

So now I just have to get back on the bicycle and see how the PGRE treats me.

And you hit the nail on the head- I'm 35 and I have the littany of "grown up expenses" now...