Chatting with prospective adviser over Skype?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

InquilineKea

Chatting with prospective adviser over Skype?

Post by InquilineKea » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:18 am

Okay, so I'll talk with a potential adviser over Skype. But I've never really used the thing before. Are there any general tips for doing this?

Thanks!

CurseTheseFactorsOf2

Re: Chatting with prospective adviser over Skype?

Post by CurseTheseFactorsOf2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:34 am

Use headphones to minimize feedback. Try to look at the webcam and not focus on the little inset image of yourself - being a narcissist, this is difficult for me.

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:23 am

Pick a good background, it says a lot about you, nothing cheesy but definitely neat and appropriate. Watch what you wear, again nothing over the top but a polo would work. Also, minimize any chance of being disturbed, i.e. other people or phones. I know basing anything on image is dumb, but if they didn't want to gauge your mannerisms and how you present yourself the interview would be over the phone and not via skype.

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Oh wow - thanks for all the advice! I thought this was a silly question at first (am totally unfamiliar with the thing), but now it appears that they do want to see me. Hmm.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:26 am

InquilineKea wrote:Oh wow - thanks for all the advice! I thought this was a silly question at first (am totally unfamiliar with the thing), but now it appears that they do want to see me. Hmm.
More like want to see how you think one-on-one, not with several hours to craft an email response. But no sense showing up in nothing but a tie and a nipple ring while sitting on a toilet; no one is going to be offended by a polo shirt.