Dumb Application Question

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

dfeld31

Dumb Application Question

Post by dfeld31 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:26 am

When in high school I took this optional class through my high school which was techincally given through the local community college. 5 years later i took a math class at this same community college. Both classes are on my transcript. So when I have to fill out all previous institutions attended... it asks you to state beginning and ending attendance dates. So do I put.... January 2004 - August 2009?? Silly question I know.

grae313

Re: Dumb Application Question

Post by grae313 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:54 am

If you just took two classes but were never enrolled as a student I don't think you are expected to list this college.

dfeld31

Post by dfeld31 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:47 am

Most applications say to list all previous institutions even if no degree was awarded. For example, the CUNY application says "Please enter all institutions, even those at which you did not complete a degree. " I think I technically was enrolled as a student for the period of time that i took the class? Am I the only person sending transcripts from summer classes taken at a community college?

jitit

Post by jitit » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:29 pm

i would leave it out, as it has no significant relevance to your physics education.. unless it was a physics course? i dont think the admissions committee would mind either

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:47 pm

jitit wrote:i would leave it out, as it has no significant relevance to your physics education.. unless it was a physics course? i dont think the admissions committee would mind either
I disagree. If it says to list all places attended, then you must list all places attended. Fairly to do so is not being honest on the application, which is a real no-no. Not that the admissions committee will care, but you should be honest.

In the OP's case, if they took a course in the summer of 04 and another in the summer of 09, then list it twice. Once with dates June-August 04 and the other with dates June-August 09.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:03 pm

admissionprof wrote:
jitit wrote:i would leave it out, as it has no significant relevance to your physics education.. unless it was a physics course? i dont think the admissions committee would mind either
I disagree. If it says to list all places attended, then you must list all places attended. Fairly to do so is not being honest on the application, which is a real no-no. Not that the admissions committee will care, but you should be honest.

In the OP's case, if they took a course in the summer of 04 and another in the summer of 09, then list it twice. Once with dates June-August 04 and the other with dates June-August 09.
oh, so grae313 is not right this time. because I remember once you said she is always right!

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:47 pm

pqortic wrote:
admissionprof wrote:

oh, so grae313 is not right this time. because I remember once you said she is always right!
Grae313 is always right. I disagreed with jitit. My comment doesn't disagree with hers, if you read it carefully. :)