CMT at University of Maryland

blondie

CMT at University of Maryland

Post by blondie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi there. This is my first post here so I'll try and make it brief. I'm an international student interested in doing a Phd in the US. My main interest is Condensed matter theory. Can anyone help me with some information about the CMT group at Maryland? Also what other strong groups do they have, if any?

Thanks

ali8

Re: CMT at University of Maryland

Post by ali8 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Did you visit the school website?

For me, since I look for quantum information schools, I know they have a good research group for that. So searching Google and visiting their website is your best bet.

sharmis

Post by sharmis » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi I am not a graduate student at University of Maryland, college park. I am also applying like you for condensed matter theory. As far as I have collected information by browsing net Maryland is one of the best for CMT. I have asked some senior professors also, they have agreed to same.
Applying for fall 2012?

blondie

Post by blondie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Yes. I'm not sure about applying to as many schools as I had planned though. A pretty bad PGRE kind of messed up my enthusiasm. Are you from the US?

twinb87

Post by twinb87 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi, I am a grad student at UMD. Although I don't do condensed matter physics I can say Maryland is very strong in this area. Let me know if you have any questions about UMD in general.

blondie

Post by blondie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks for the help. There is one question I'd like to ask: how international friendly is the university? I mean how hard is it for a non-Chinese non-Indian foreigner to be admitted? I'm a little worried because my PGRE is 850. Do you think that hurts my chances significantly?

twinb87

Post by twinb87 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:17 am

The university is definitely international friendly so this won't be an issue. I am not sure how much an 850 PGRE will hurt your chances though as I don't know the department's cutoff for international students. My own feeling is that 850 is a very respectable score so I would encourage you to still apply but your PGRE score may hurt your chances of getting accepted.