Can I apply...and to which kind of Universities.

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

ani_phys

Can I apply...and to which kind of Universities.

Post by ani_phys » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:01 am

I have already taken the general and Subject GRE tests in Physics.I have got 1120 in general GRE and 70 percentile in Subject GRE.My results in the masters degree is good enough and it is equivalent to grade A..I have got 80-90% marks through out the masters degree.
But I am afraid that my institution is not very renowned in science background but its a reputed institute in the field of engineering.So should I apply ???Should I take the risk and if yes...then to which universities??

dunecastle

be confident

Post by dunecastle » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:52 am

I am wondering what specific area did you researched on and how's that going. Anyway, YOUR background is the most important, not the institute you are in.

udaykant

admission to Astro Grad School

Post by udaykant » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:17 am

On a similar note, i need to ask that how likely is that a engineering graduate can get admission into a reputed astronomy/astrophysics program. How important is it to have a formal background in physics(like having done one's bachelor / masters in Physics).

kptnblaubar

Post by kptnblaubar » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:46 pm

exactly my question too! i'm a CS engineer and looking keenly at getting into engineering physics.

can i do that? i mailed a college, and they seemed okay with it. they asked me to take the subject GRE. but i'm just another application. so... can it really happen?
can somebody give me more info?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:49 pm

I've read a lot about admissions from a lot of websites and they all seem to say the same thing. They'd prefer a physics or applied physics degree, or a closely related science disciplin. However, the most important thing in any application is that you demonstrate the potential for success. If you can show them that you have oustanding potential in physics and that you are likely to succeed with flying colors, you will be considered for admission. If your background is lacking, you will need to play catchup. Get a head start, show them what you know.