Will the grades for this semester matter?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

huyichen

Will the grades for this semester matter?

Post by huyichen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:16 pm

So I just have a question about my grades for this semester (the first semester of my senior year), since I will be submitting my applications before my grades for this semester come out, will the grades for this semester matter that much for my application?

midwestphysics

Re: Will the grades for this semester matter?

Post by midwestphysics » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:35 pm

It depends, most schools have options like "hold for grades" and "hold for degree" on transcripts being sent. I don't know what your deadlines are for the schools you're looking at but if you're domestic you can still probably get them in. My undergrad for instance usually posted grades in the middle of December so all the Jan 1st or later deadlines were no problem. Even the Dec 1st or 15th ones might not be an issue. I know for some schools that if you fill out the application it was all that they absolutely required to have right away, you can probably have your transcript held for grades. Of course that all depends on when your school posts your grades, but I can't imagine it would be much different from middle to late December. Just to be safe you could also let the schools you're applying to know that you are doing so if you really feel the need to. Again, that's if you want this semesters grades to be in when they review your app.

If you don't, then these grades will only matter for the final transcript you send to any schools you are accepted to and decide to attend. Even then, unless you bomb everything and it brings you below the required gpa minimum it won't mean much since you've already accepted the offer and still meet the requirements.

huyichen

Post by huyichen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:58 pm

So the thing is that I have way too many writing courses this semester, therefore I think this will be a problem for my final GPA.

So say that my current GPA is about 3.94, and then after this semester it drops to 3.76. Will this cause me to lose some of my offers (assume I will get some offers from some decent grad schools) after I turn in my final transcript?

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:06 pm

In that case, if you want to avoid that bad semester showing up during their initial evaluation definitely send transcripts without the grades. In any case however, after they've accepted you and you've accepted their offer that drop from a 3.9 to a 3.7 is not enough to break your agreement with them. You would have to drop below the minimum required GPA. Besides they're really not going to care that you bombed a couple writing classes.

huyichen

Post by huyichen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks! That set my mind at ease.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:04 am

midwestphysics is correct. For the first evaluation, the fall grades aren't needed. However, if we aren't certain about a student, we will email them and ask what their grades were (honor system -- if they lie, we will find out and then they are history). But we really only care about physics grades at that point.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:55 am

huyichen wrote:So I just have a question about my grades for this semester (the first semester of my senior year), since I will be submitting my applications before my grades for this semester come out, will the grades for this semester matter that much for my application?
I think you take a big risk if you slack off this semester. Some applications are due after fall grades are released so I think it could be a red flag at those schools to not include them. For the schools with earlier deadlines, unless you are a very competitive applicant at a school, they are likely to be deliberating on you into February. Other applicants will be updating their folder with their excellent fall grades, and as admissionprof said, you may be explicitly asked for yours.

To reiterate the answer to your second question, you cannot lose your offer unless you like commit a felony or something, are discovered lying, or your gpa drops below 3.0.

Stay tough this semester, slack of like no one's business next semester.