Consultation / school selection / Quantum Computing

ali8

Consultation / school selection / Quantum Computing

Post by ali8 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi,

I know I should search the old results pages, but these schools are not that common.

I am an EE graduate with 3.44 GPA from an unknown international university. No research
experience, and PGRE is not offered in my country (it is even not a country yet!). I expect
excellent Q. GRE score and decent V. GRE score. My TOEFL is PBT 633 (=109 iBT).

Currently, I am taking some physics courses (2 this semester and 3 next semester) but
grades won't be available until Feb.2012; too late to be sent for any university.

1) SUNY Buffalo , physics [US News rank: 85]
2) Univ. of Georgia , physics [US News rank: 77]
3) Univ. of Louisiana , physics [US News rank: 77]
4) removed.

So, do you think I stand a chance ?

ali8

Re: Consultation / school selection / Quantum Computing

Post by ali8 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:22 am

I believe my title is not that 'clear' ?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:40 pm

You probably wont get in, be that fair or not, without neither a good to excellent PGRE score nor a degree from a recognizable institution in physics. If you were to fund your own masters, you'd have a shot at each of these schools, and many more after you graduate. There's just no reason for a school to take a chance on you, if there are hardly any data points showing your aptitude for physics.

ali8

Post by ali8 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:51 am

You are probably right, but my problem is that PGRE is just not offered here..

As for funding, I will be applying through the Fulbright scholarship.

But I am not understanding how will the fund issue change it from "rejected" into "accepted".

Also, I thought I had chosen schools that are not that highly ranked, just to get a chance...

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:07 pm

In the United States, admission to graduate school is tied to the ability to offer support. If they can't give you financial support, they don't accept you 99/100 times. If you come up with your own funding, you have a shot at a wide variety of schools, not just schools ranked in the 70's. The problem is most funding agencies have similar criteria as admissions committees, though I admittedly know nothing about the Fulbright process.

If you have the Fulbright, you should be applying to schools ranked 15 and down, I think--having your own funding opens a lot of doors. You should be contacting professors ahead of time though, preferably ones that can use your engineering background. The school needs to know that when your fellowship runs out, there's a professor willing to take you.

ali8

Post by ali8 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:46 am

I see what you mean...

Thanks for the reply, and if someone has any opinion please share with us.