Good schools for biophysics/C.M./HEP?

phyalan

Good schools for biophysics/C.M./HEP?

Post by phyalan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:40 am

Hi everyone,
I am interested in biophysics, condense matter physics as well as high energy physics, but I am not sure which graduate schools in U.S. are good at the above three fields. Can anyone suggest some schools for each field so that I can do some research on that? Thank you!

TheBeast

Re: Good schools for biophysics/C.M./HEP?

Post by TheBeast » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:28 am

I would suggest that you start your research a bit earlier in the chain and try to figure out which schools are doing work that you find interesting in each of those fields. Google is your friend.

Here's a freebie: Wisconsin

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:30 pm

UCSD

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:14 pm

I'm taking a fascinating class in biophysics at Washington State University at Pullman. I don't know if it's a great school for the subject, but the instructor is amazing and I would consider going here just to work for him:
http://www.physics.wsu.edu/personnel/pe ... Gittes.htm

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:20 pm

Well, you'll only end up doing one of the three (which basically span all of physics anyways) but I do know Iowa State has research in each of those.

-Riley

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:39 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:Well, you'll only end up doing one of the three ...
I.e. you'll only end up doing a thesis in one of the areas, but in academia you can mix your papers up as much as you like. I do, and the guy teaching biophysics does too.

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:53 pm

CarlBrannen wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:Well, you'll only end up doing one of the three ...
I.e. you'll only end up doing a thesis in one of the areas, but in academia you can mix your papers up as much as you like. I do, and the guy teaching biophysics does too.
For theory yeah to a certain degree, not so much for experimental. It all depends on which one the OP wants to do.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:06 am

UCSD has 5 research programs; 3 of them are biophysics, condensed matter (and plasma), and high energy. If I were interested in these 3, I would seriously consider UCSD my top choice.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Check out the Center for the Physics of Living Cells (CPLC) and UIUC. They have a collection of several of the biggest names in biophysics like Taekjip Ha and Paul Selvin and a lot of resources. UIUC is also a top school in condensed matter. Cornell is also a top school in condensed matter and has a great biophysics program. We have a number of interdisciplinary centers like the Cornell Nanofabrication Facility (CNF -- best in the country? I'd say so), Kavli Institute for Nanotechnology, the Nanobiotechnology Center (NBTC), and the Cornell Center for Materials Research (CCMR).

blacksl

Post by blacksl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:09 am

I don't know whether this helpful or not,
Check ASU and Wash U for bio physics