Prospective student here

• Imagine you are sipping tea or coffee while discussing various issues with a broad and diverse network of students, colleagues, and friends brought together by the common bond of physics, graduate school, and the physics GRE.

williamlapenta

Prospective student here

Post by williamlapenta » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:37 am

Hey all, I'm a sophomore in college and the time has finally come for me to settle down on a major. After straying off to other majors and changing my mind, I always seem to come back to math. Math hasn't always been my strong point but I'm decent at it and I know i can get good at it. Physics and quantum mechanics are the subjects that interest me the most, I love watching and reading anything I can on the subjects. Anyone have any tips or advice? It would be much appreciated.

physics123

Re: Prospective student here

Post by physics123 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:27 pm

I would recommend this book for quantum mechanics: http://www.amazon.com/New-Quantum-Unive ... 400&sr=8-1

It's not a textbook, so it will keep you entertained. It also goes into quite a bit of depth, so some rudimentary physics and chemistry knowledge would be helpful. If you did want a full-on textbook, you can look at the course listings for your college or university for guidance.