Are transcripts mandatory ?

siroy.sam

Are transcripts mandatory ?

Post by siroy.sam » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:07 pm

I am well aware that transcripts are necessary as supporting documents for graduate school admission. Unlike US, most of the Indian universities do not provide transcripts to students upon graduation. What we get is mark sheets and certificates of course completion. Apart from few universities in India which give transcripts to students on demand, majority of the universities have not even understood what a transcript is.

Few years back, when I went to registrar's office at my university asking for transcripts for my MSc course completion to apply for overseas study, he clearly told me that our university does not have any such system of issuing transcripts. What the university provides is the mark sheet that mentions details of the courses undertaken, grades scored, etc. He further mentioned that if the respective universities that I would be applying, need any clarification as such, they could approach the university directly. Moreover, even to apply for transcripts of BSc exam, I was not in position to go personally to my college/ university at southern India as I am currently based in northern India which is a bit far.

So, without any transcripts, I had to apply for PhD program at University of Birmingham, UK with whatever documents and recommendation letters that i got from my professors. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend the program as I couldn't secure financial supports or scholarship to cover their hefty tuition fees.

If its so hard to get transcripts in my case, will it be possible to furnish my BSc and MSc marksheets and certificates in place of the transcripts for application purpose? I would like to know if the US universities where I would be applying will understand and agree as various universities across the world have different norms and practices. Will the admission committee consider if I provide my MSc and BSc mark sheets and certificates as my supporting documents? Are they flexible as people claim ? Please advise what I shall do as I am helpless. Your kind help and advices are very highly appreciated.

Thanks for your valuable time,

Siroy

bfollinprm

Re: Are transcripts mandatory ?

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:01 pm

siroy.sam wrote: If its so hard to get transcripts in my case, will it be possible to furnish my BSc and MSc marksheets and certificates in place of the transcripts for application purpose? I would like to know if the US universities where I would be applying will understand and agree as various universities across the world have different norms and practices. Will the admission committee consider if I provide my MSc and BSc mark sheets and certificates as my supporting documents? Are they flexible as people claim ? Please advise what I shall do as I am helpless. Your kind help and advices are very highly appreciated.

Thanks for your valuable time,

Siroy
Probably, but it depends on the committee. You should email the admissions coordinator of each school about the policy,

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Universities around the world are not looking to penalize potential quality students because of the policies of their home institution. If your University doesn't provide transcripts, that's not your fault and is not in itself reason enough for a University to deny admission to an otherwise qualified a promising individual. You need to contact individual schools to which you want to apply and explain your situation. They will guide you from there.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:12 pm

grae313 wrote:Universities around the world are not looking to penalize potential quality students because of the policies of their home institution. If your University doesn't provide transcripts, that's not your fault and is not in itself reason enough for a University to deny admission to an otherwise qualified a promising individual. You need to contact individual schools to which you want to apply and explain your situation. They will guide you from there.
I must disagree with this. some universities are actually very picky about the credentials and almost none of them accepts the non-sealed transcripts for matriculation. however, they would accept whatever you have to only review you application and make a decision.
siroy.sam wrote:Apart from few universities in India which give transcripts to students on demand, majority of the universities have not even understood what a transcript is.
do you know of anybody from your alma mater who has applied and got accepted to graduate school to ask for help? if no, contact the professors you know there and ask if they have any solution for this situation. they for sure have had students before who have gone through the same process as you are in. there might be some connections between your university and credential evaluation institutes.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:27 am

pqortic wrote:
grae313 wrote:Universities around the world are not looking to penalize potential quality students because of the policies of their home institution. If your University doesn't provide transcripts, that's not your fault and is not in itself reason enough for a University to deny admission to an otherwise qualified a promising individual. You need to contact individual schools to which you want to apply and explain your situation. They will guide you from there.
I must disagree with this. some universities are actually very picky about the credentials and almost none of them accepts the non-sealed transcripts for matriculation. however, they would accept whatever you have to only review you application and make a decision.
I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that he write them a letter or something and send it in instead of a transcript. He mentioned some form of official document from his University that he should be able to get in a sealed envelope and send in. With good communication to the recipient schools beforehand so that they understand the issue and how to interpret this document, I'd be surprised to hear that not having something we'd technically call a transcript could keep out an otherwise exceptional student. If he's mediocre and on the borderline for admissions it might be another story.

SPat

Post by SPat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:19 am

From what I've seen of many Indian universities, your mark sheets and degree certificates are probably fancy documents with holograms, watermarks and whatnot. I think a photocopy of the transcript, attested and sealed by a school official or one of your recommenders should work fine, atleast for the purpose of application.

However, be sure to write to the admissions officials at the schools you're applying to explaining your situation. Schools won't reject you for reasons as trivial as this.