new to Physics

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

gjoshi81

new to Physics

Post by gjoshi81 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi, I am a prospective Astronony PhD student at Rice University in Houston, TX, US. I do not have prior background in Physics except that I graduated as a Marine Engineer in 2002 from an Indian university. Following that I studied MBA in US and worked on wallstreet for 2 years. I am new to Physics, and would really appreciate if someone could advice me on what Junior/Sophomore level pre-requisites do I need to take to ace my Physics GRE. I am good analytically. Gaurav

fabioyang

Re: new to Physics

Post by fabioyang » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:20 pm

I once read an article in which a women told her experience about preparing the GRE Physics. Also, she is kind of similar to you. She said that she studied about 2 chapters of a subject every day. After studying all the basic physics knowledge, she started to do the practical tests, examined all the errors she made and review those parts in the textbook carefully. I can't remember her exact score, but it was a really high one.
I hope the information is helpful to you.

gjoshi81

Post by gjoshi81 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:27 pm

Dear fabioyang, I thank you so much for your willingness to help. Actually, since I also need to get into the mood and mode of intense mathematical studying again, I was thinking of enrolling in a school for the courses that I would need to ace my Physics GRE test, and to also show some relevant meat (coursework) while I appy for Fall 2010 for Rice Univ.

With regards to that, I was thinking of choosing app. 6 most effective courses that would help me build my knowledge base and ace my PGRE. Besides, as I said, I intend to secure As in these courses, as that shall boost my chances of admission, and also, I get to study in a class-setting amongst other students, which gives me the environment and the interactive atmosphere I am looking for. I would highly appreciate your advice on selection of most relevant 6 courses.

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:39 pm

I would say:

Introduction to Mechanics
Introduction to Electricity and Magnetism
Advanced E&M I
Modern Physics
Quantum Mechanics I&II

There are other subjects covered on the test, but I would say that the bulk of the test consists of those subjects.

fabioyang

Post by fabioyang » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:14 pm

hi gjoshi81!
As you can see from the content of the test, the six most important topics are:
classical mechanics, electromagnetism, optics and wave, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and atomic physics.
so I think you may choose the following six courses:
1.classical mechanics
2.electromagnetism
3.optics
4.thermodynamics and statistical mechanics
5.quantum physics(including quantum mechanics and atomic physics)
6.modern physics
In my opinion, you should study classical mechanics and electromagnetism first, because they are the most basic and important theory in physics. and then optics, thermodynamics, quantum physics, and statistical mechanics.

gjoshi81

Post by gjoshi81 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:53 pm

thank you twistor and fabioyang! I sincerely appreciate your help! I will arrange a meeting with an academic advisor at Rice, and discuss the courses you guyz have suggested! I think I will enroll for this spring, and will keep you updated

samuelarnold

Post by samuelarnold » Tue May 24, 2011 5:01 am

In UK schools Physics is usually devided into

Energy, also called Thermodynamics
Electricity
Forces and Motion
Atoms
Waves
Magnetism