low gpa, 2nd bachelors degree

Raio

low gpa, 2nd bachelors degree

Post by Raio » Wed May 04, 2011 3:07 am

Hello,

I will graduate next semester (Bsc Applied Physics-Medical Physics) and my terminal GPA will be low (way under 3.0)
the issue is that the GPA being cumulative I can't just postpone graduation and keep taking class to get my GPA over 3.0
it will take too much time I think.
I'm considering doing a BA in Maths (doable in a year) in 1.5 yr, and add some physics courses in it.

I'm interested in applying to PhD programs in Medical Physics, these programs although kind off destined to Physics Majors are really multidisciplinary.
which means that a Maths major as long as they have a minor in physics are perfectly eligible.

so what do you think guys? do you think showing up with a Maths BA with a much better GPA than my Physics Bsc, is a smart move?

thanks and let me know. :)

grae313

Re: low gpa, 2nd bachelors degree

Post by grae313 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am

You can't double major?

The vast majority of PhD programs require a 3.0 as a bare minimum to even get your application looked at. I think if you really want to choose a course that does not involve raising your GPA above a 3.0, you should first find potential programs that will accept your application (if there are any).

Raio

Post by Raio » Thu May 05, 2011 10:20 pm

grae313 wrote:You can't double major?

The vast majority of PhD programs require a 3.0 as a bare minimum to even get your application looked at. I think if you really want to choose a course that does not involve raising your GPA above a 3.0, you should first find potential programs that will accept your application (if there are any).

I'm not sure I understand your answer...
the reason why I'm tempted to pursue this road (2nd bachelor degree) is to get a GPA higher than 3.0 while doing that one.

____

I got more information this morning by talking my advisers this morning.
I would need to contact the grad programs I'm interested in (http://campep.org/campeplstgrad.asp ) and ask them how they calculate undergrad GPA.
my home institution doesn't differentiate a GPA obtained in 2 undergrad degree, therefore even if I Do a second BA, it will still be counted in my actual GPA, which is not what I was looking for...
I guess I'm going to keep taking class and delay my graduation.

thanks for your help anyway.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Raio wrote:
grae313 wrote:You can't double major?

I'm not sure I understand your answer...
the reason why I'm tempted to pursue this road (2nd bachelor degree) is to get a GPA higher than 3.0 while doing that one.
You had me confused when you said
the issue is that the GPA being cumulative I can't just postpone graduation and keep taking class to get my GPA over 3.0 it will take too much time I think.
Because it sounds like that is exactly what you are proposing to do. So are you hoping that with the math degree added to the physics degree your cumulative GPA will be high enough, or are you expecting to apply on the merits of your math degree alone?

You can't apply with a gpa below a 3.0 so if getting a second major will get that done, you definitely should.

Raio

Post by Raio » Fri May 06, 2011 12:55 pm

I dont think I will be able to achieve a 3.0 gpa to be honest (may be I'm doomed and I need to admit it) because getting from a 2.0ish gpa to 3.0 with already 120cr hours on my back will just take too long and will necessitate straight As.

I expect to achieve a trend of good grades and hope school will look at it, and contrast it with my precedent years.

what do you think?

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri May 06, 2011 4:25 pm

How about you apply to a new school as a freshman undergrad? Choose one that will accept transfer credit for most of the courses you passed at your old school. With the transfer credits, the background you already have and some heavier course loads, you'd probably be able to get through the program in 2 years. This likely is even less time than it'd take to bring a 2.0 GPA up to a 3.0, unless, as you said, you got straight A's... But if you actually did get straight A's, in this case you'd be starting with a clean slate, so you could apply to grad schools with a very high GPA if you do well.

TheBeast

Post by TheBeast » Fri May 06, 2011 7:35 pm

quizivex wrote:How about you apply to a new school as a freshman undergrad? Choose one that will accept transfer credit for most of the courses you passed at your old school. With the transfer credits, the background you already have and some heavier course loads, you'd probably be able to get through the program in 2 years. This likely is even less time than it'd take to bring a 2.0 GPA up to a 3.0, unless, as you said, you got straight A's... But if you actually did get straight A's, in this case you'd be starting with a clean slate, so you could apply to grad schools with a very high GPA if you do well.
This all depends on how the graduate schools calculate an applicant's GPA. Some may look only at the most recent institution (or give it more weight), but given that schools generally ask that applicants supply transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, they will have the crummier older marks at their availability. I suspect that some schools will calculate the undergrad GPA across all courses taken in all programs and all universities attended by the applicant.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:49 am

The problem is that there are two entities who control which applicants are admitted: the department, and the graduate school. The graduate school of arts and sciences sets a minimum standard for all students across all of the departments under them. So even if the department sees a trend of good grades and wants to admit you, they'd still have to convince the bureaucrats to make an exception and it's extremely unlikely. There are some departments that don't have a minimum GPA required (although a 3.0 is still an informal requirement, they just want to have the option of flexibility in unusual circumstances). You also have an option of doing a masters first. I suggest you do some homework and find if there are any medical physics programs that don't require a 3.0.

adriana252

Post by adriana252 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:24 am

Hi. I too am 28 and graduated recently with a B.A. in the behavioral science field. I had/have a somewhat low gpa too, but I was really sick one semester and that is what messed it all up. I thought about getting a second bachelors as well, but my career counselor advised against. Instead, she told me, "Repeat the courses that you earned less than a C+ in, go to the professors that you did really well in their classes and ask them to write you a recommendation. Let them know that you didn't do so hot in some courses and explain what happened. If you have good reasons for not Web Application Mania doing well in the other courses, they can write in their recommendation that they are aware that your transcript isn't exactly dazzling but they know the circumstances and they also know that you are capable of more- as can be seen by your performance in their course." I decided to take her advice and it worked out well.
Last edited by adriana252 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Raio

Post by Raio » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:11 pm

after a while I decided against the 2nd bachelor's degree as It would time take and wouldn't change much.
I have looked at universities that offer terminal master degrees. it could be a way out for me. these universities have policies that clearly state that if your gpa is under 3.0 you will most likely be admitted and you will be required to perform (that is score a GPA superior to 3.0) during your first semester.
one issue I see is the quality of the universities in themselves, I would like if possible to pursue a PhD at my school if possible (they are top 5 in nuclear physics), do you guys think that going to a low rank school and get a MSc degree is a very good idea? (i am worried about the rank of the school not reflecting the quality of the achievement)

also, there is the possibility of taking classes as a non degree grad student during one semester and then apply for the PhD: it's a gamble but is it worth taking the risk?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:03 am

I doubt a masters degree of any stature will hurt your application, as long as you do well (3.5+).

They can't accept you with less than a 3.0, it's normally school policy (which the departments have to do a lot of paperwork to waive). You shouldn't count on taking non-credit courses to help you at all, since first and foremost your issue has to be increasing your GPA to the school minimum.