Last minute decision on Astronomy program, Maryland or BU

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

philosophysicist

Last minute decision on Astronomy program, Maryland or BU

Post by philosophysicist » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Coming soon
Last edited by philosophysicist on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

m42

Re: Last minute decision on Astronomy program, Maryland or BU

Post by m42 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:46 am

Boston - so you can open up a spot at Maryland for me ;)

Seriously though, I think MD is limited in their exoplanet research. They appear to have more missions related to study of comets/dust in our own solar system. However they have a nice connection with Goddard, which would open many doors I presume. Boston has a solid star formation / radio astronomy group - not sure about their planetary expertise however. A partnership with the Discovery Channel Telescope is definitely a good thing too...

I've been focusing more on instrumentation and star formation, hopefully someone else looking into planetary schools will have a bit more info for you. And good luck on your decision!

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Definitely Maryland. you have no idea how much research is going on in that goddard center. you can be as specific as you want and find a scientist there working on the subject.

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:10 pm

What about Maryland's possible connections with JHU and Boston's possible connections with MIT/Harvard?

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sun May 01, 2011 11:25 pm

well, Maryland is already higher than JHU at least in the field philosophysicist mentioned. but that was another factor that he should have considered.