Physics Research on my own

roshan2004

Physics Research on my own

Post by roshan2004 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:48 am

I have just finished my Undergraduate in physics. Since I am from third world country, it is very hard to do research here, so please anyone give me suggestions to do research and how to do it on my own. Thanks

bfollinprm

Re: Physics Research on my own

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:57 am

roshan2004 wrote:I have just finished my Undergraduate in physics. Since I am from third world country, it is very hard to do research here, so please anyone give me suggestions to do research and how to do it on my own. Thanks
As an american, I can only give you advice that would apply to the states:
(1) apply for a fulbright grant to come over here (pretty much the only way to get a short-term work visa for most nationalities)
(2) email professors at schools ranked 15-40 in the US (with CV) asking if they have a summer research position

I'm sure there are similar programs in other countries. The fulbright process favors denizens of developing countries, because it "was established to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills." Since globalization, that exchange really only happens when you compare developed and developing countries. So, you have a shot.

drunkscientist

Post by drunkscientist » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:05 am

If you are from India, then I wont buy this argument nor will anyone else.

sphy

Post by sphy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 am

roshan2004 wrote:I have just finished my Undergraduate in physics. Since I am from third world country, it is very hard to do research here, so please anyone give me suggestions to do research and how to do it on my own. Thanks
I am writing this post thinking you as an Indian because of your name, If I am wrong then please excuse me.
You can do summer research project in any Indian physics institute like TIFR, IUCAA, NCRA, HRI, or even write to professors there for some research project.
IF you are not from India, you can do the similar things in your country. You should apply to Fulbright program for the US for some project but since that is very competitive you should try your hand in your country also.

It all depends on what is your long time goal?

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:39 pm

As an amateur unconnected with any institution, I've published three papers. It's easy. PM me with your personal interests and I'll see if I can can interesting theoretical problem to work on that will result in a publication.

roshan2004

Post by roshan2004 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:44 am

Nah guys, I amnot from India but from Nepal, a small underdeveloped country with virtually no physics research institutes at all. I am very passionate about physics and want to do lots of research on it especially in the field of Quantum Mechanics and Statistical physics. However my passion is constrained by the economic situation of my country as well as mine and the lack of interest in science in my country. I can't come to the US right now for at least 3-4 years as I want to do my Masters here and probably apply for PhD in US after that. So, please suggest me on how to do research on my own so that my genuine passion would mould into reality. Any links or suggestions would be very very helpful.

sphy

Post by sphy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:24 am

roshan2004 wrote:Nah guys, I amnot from India but from Nepal, a small underdeveloped country with virtually no physics research institutes at all. I am very passionate about physics and want to do lots of research on it especially in the field of Quantum Mechanics and Statistical physics. However my passion is constrained by the economic situation of my country as well as mine and the lack of interest in science in my country. I can't come to the US right now for at least 3-4 years as I want to do my Masters here and probably apply for PhD in US after that. So, please suggest me on how to do research on my own so that my genuine passion would mould into reality. Any links or suggestions would be very very helpful.
The best part of you is you have plenty of amount of time to built out strong profile in future.
For now forget about the research just manage your grades well especially in physics and math. Then you apply for an M.Sc there or you can even come to India to do the same. Here concentrate of core subjects and then start preparing for the PGRE and GEN GRE. In the mean while during your M.Sc. you should apply for summer research projects in institutes I ( they accept after 1st year of M.Sc.) have already mentioned. And I think that will complete your aim of doing a research on your own. Apart from that you can have a rec letter from the guide under whom you'll do your research which is always the best part of doing summer research. OK. Hope that was helpful.
All the best. :)

drunkscientist

Post by drunkscientist » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:44 am

Yes, Get good grades. That is very important. I think it would be a good idea to get MSc from India (if possible), carry out some research internships at IISc, IISER, TIFR etc and then apply to USA/EU later for a Ph.D. i did my Undergraduate at an Indian University and had quite a few friends from Nepal.

ashowmega

Post by ashowmega » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:52 pm

roshan2004 wrote: I amnot from India but from Nepal.
Wassup Homie!
roshan2004 wrote: However my passion is constrained by the economic situation of my country as well as mine and the lack of interest in science in my country.
As much as I love the history, people and nature of the country, these things makes me depressed. If you are a scientist or engineer, Nepal does not want you. Ugly truth. Once people like us settle down on our career, we need to do something (like summer program in sciences) for the kids over there. If we don't do it then the government will never do anything.
roshan2004 wrote: So, please suggest me on how to do research on my own so that my genuine passion would mould into reality. Any links or suggestions would be very very helpful.
Try look into things fellow friends suggested. Emailing might also work. If possible, try to email some professors at various universities and institutes like bfollinprm said. It sometimes works in the US. So, give a shot for India or even Nepal. Also, do contact CarlBrannen. And, since you completed Bachelor's, best things for you will be applying to Indian institution which are active in research as suggested by drunkscientist and sphy. Also, if you can not make it to India for MS, try finding a professor in Nepal who might be doing theoretical things or maybe small projects in TU or KU who might be able to work you for a summer or so (if you are looking for short term projects). I found this thing:
http://www.ku.edu.np/dons/physics.htm#re

Also, I think you will need to have a thesis for MS degree, which means you will have to be involved in some sort of research. Good luck.

P.S. I know my suggestions are just summary of all the earlier posts, but I also needed an excuse to greet fellow countryman and rant a bit about politics. :)

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:08 pm

roshan2004 wrote:Nah guys, I amnot from India but from Nepal, a small underdeveloped country with virtually no physics research institutes at all. I am very passionate about physics and want to do lots of research on it especially in the field of Quantum Mechanics and Statistical physics. However my passion is constrained by the economic situation of my country as well as mine and the lack of interest in science in my country. I can't come to the US right now for at least 3-4 years as I want to do my Masters here and probably apply for PhD in US after that. So, please suggest me on how to do research on my own so that my genuine passion would mould into reality. Any links or suggestions would be very very helpful.
The cool thing about 2011 is that the internet is so pervasive that you can do research from wherever you want.

A neat way to find interesting things to research is to look on arXiv for stuff that is unexplained. For example, someone interested in classical mechanics / general relativity, might google for unexplained+gravity+anomaly and find lots of interesting papers:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aa ... ty+anomaly

Some of this can be attacked without high level mathematics. And other areas have cool stuff to work on as well.

You need to learn LaTeX, but hey, there's not a college class for that. And from there, you're publishing in physics. (Which is more than a lot of professors at small schools do.)

rolandgill

Post by rolandgill » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:14 am

Do you have Internet connection..? if you have Internet you could get more idea about your research paper and also you can easily find the resources.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:22 pm

rolandgill wrote:Do you have Internet connection..? if you have Internet you could get more idea about your research paper and also you can easily find the resources.
Really? How do you think the OP created this thread if they don't have some access to the internet? More importantly, how would they read your sterling advice without one?

sphy

Post by sphy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:27 am

HappyQuark wrote:
rolandgill wrote:Do you have Internet connection..? if you have Internet you could get more idea about your research paper and also you can easily find the resources.
Really? How do you think the OP created this thread if they don't have some access to the internet? More importantly, how would they read your sterling advice without one?
Roland Gill was on posting rampage yesterday. :lol: