Attention Australian theoretical physicists!

swestrings

Attention Australian theoretical physicists!

Post by swestrings » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:29 am

I am looking at the possibility of doing a PhD in string theory or mathematics of physics in Australia - which universities are the very best for this?

sphy

Re: Attention Australian theoretical physicists!

Post by sphy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:31 pm

swestrings wrote:I am looking at the possibility of doing a PhD in string theory or mathematics of physics in Australia - which universities are the very best for this?
How about going there (Any Where) and making that place famous by your cutting edge works I mean string theory.? You would get more attention there since you would become the most important figure and future students would be interested to go there just for the sake of you and you'll get more attention by that way thus becoming "A Truly International Renowned Physicist" who single handedly managed to place his hand on Nobel. What say?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:13 pm

swestrings wrote:I am looking at the possibility of doing a PhD in string theory or mathematics of physics in Australia - which universities are the very best for this?
I don't know much, but aren't Melbourne and ANU the best schools in Australia? I've also heard Sydney is really good, but I don't think they do much particle work, theory or otherwise. Melbourne has Ray Volkas, whose name sounds familiar to me.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:09 am

bfollinprm wrote:
I don't know much, but aren't Melbourne and ANU the best schools in Australia? I've also heard Sydney is really good, but I don't think they do much particle work, theory or otherwise. Melbourne has Ray Volkas, whose name sounds familiar to me.

BTW, the biggest high energy physics conference in the world next year (ICHEP2012) is in Melbourne.