scope of M.Tech /MS after M.Sc in Physics

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

anupamneogi

scope of M.Tech /MS after M.Sc in Physics

Post by anupamneogi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:50 am

Hello all,
I have completed M.Sc in Physics(2010) and interested in research work in material science and technology.I have not cleared NET till now but I have got a chance to pursue MS in IITKGP from Metallurgical and Material Engg. Dept.
I am little bit confused whether it would be better for me or not my ultimate aim is Ph.d.Would it be fruitfull for me? what is the present sinario of M.S in industry ? Can i get a chance to go for abroad without GRE/TOEFL???

thanks in advance for any guidance/assistance ..

sphy

Re: scope of M.Tech /MS after M.Sc in Physics

Post by sphy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 am

anupamneogi wrote:Hello all,
I have completed M.Sc in Physics(2010) and interested in research work in material science and technology.I have not cleared NET till now but I have got a chance to pursue MS in IITKGP from Metallurgical and Material Engg. Dept.
I am little bit confused whether it would be better for me or not my ultimate aim is Ph.d.Would it be fruitfull for me? what is the present sinario of M.S in industry ? Can i get a chance to go for abroad without GRE/TOEFL???

thanks in advance for any guidance/assistance ..
If your ultimate aim is Ph.D in USA then you need to take GRE/TOEFL. That will open vast options and if you are planning to do some where outside US then GRE is basically not required but TOEFL may be required for the Language Requirement. So it's your choice now. For PHD in USA Subject GRE is way more important than Gen GRE, you should must take that as well.

And another thing is that, It is always better to have some back up plans and for that reason Clearing NET and GATE is essential.