The cheapest way to move stuff from east to west coast?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

cryingsun

The cheapest way to move stuff from east to west coast?

Post by cryingsun » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi all, thank you in advance for reading and helping out! I am an international student so I cannot move stuff to home after graduation from college. I will need to move my TV (if I cannot sell it) and computers etc directly from east coast to west coast. What would be the cheapest way?

Thanks!

HappyQuark

Re: The cheapest way to move stuff from east to west coast?

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:42 am

cryingsun wrote:Hi all, thank you in advance for reading and helping out! I am an international student so I cannot move stuff to home after graduation from college. I will need to move my TV (if I cannot sell it) and computers etc directly from east coast to west coast. What would be the cheapest way?

Thanks!
Cheapest? Pick it up and carry it.

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:56 am

cryingsun wrote:Hi all, thank you in advance for reading and helping out! I am an international student so I cannot move stuff to home after graduation from college. I will need to move my TV (if I cannot sell it) and computers etc directly from east coast to west coast. What would be the cheapest way?

Thanks!
It all depends on what you're moving. By "etc" are we talking beds, a car, kitchen table, or just cloths and a few electronics? If you've got a ton of stuff, like beds and what not your cheapest route is to rent a U-Haul and drive it all yourself, moving companies are not cheap. If you've just got a few things, sell the T.V.'s, because I'm not even sure you could ship that cheaply and the monetary value after it all probably wouldn't be that different unless you drove it (granted who knows where gas prices will be). In the end, the cheapest way is probably to rent a truck and drive, unless you can find a sweet moving deal but given the 3000 mile distance I doubt you’ll find something cheaper.

negru

Post by negru » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:38 am

try http://postcalc.usps.gov/

for example i put in an 70lbs large box cali to mass cost was about 100$

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:16 pm

If you don't own a car, you might consider a 1-way rental. That will save you the price of a plane ticket for your body, and let you see parts of the country. Read this link:

http://www.independenttraveler.com/reso ... category=2

It may be possible that someone wants a car moved to the place you're going. In that case you might be able to work out a deal with them. Usually you'll have to put down a refundable deposit before they let you drive off.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: carlbrannan's suggestion: email me.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:38 pm

bfollinprm wrote:Re: carlbrannan's suggestion: email me.
For example, go here:
http://www.autodriveaway.com/driversform.aspx

They seem to have good BBB ratings, for example A+ at Richmond:
http://www.bbb.org/richmond/business-re ... -21009968/

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:41 pm

CarlBrannen wrote: It may be possible that someone wants a car moved to the place you're going. In that case you might be able to work out a deal with them. Usually you'll have to put down a refundable deposit before they let you drive off.
I don't know if I'd trust that, have you ever seen "Moving" with Richard Pryor :lol:

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm

midwestphysics wrote:I don't know if I'd trust that, have you ever seen "Moving" with Richard Pryor :lol:
Sounds like a charming movie (I always read the wiki synopsis before I watch a movie).

Another way of moving cross country in style is to get yourself a CDL. In Washington State you do this by reading a little booklet while waiting in line at the driver's license place, then taking a multiple choice test, and then paying someone a couple hundred bucks to give you a driving test. Then you can get paid to drive somebody's big commercial vehicle. I'd do this for a living but I know too much physics and am too imaginative.

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:03 am

Thank you all for your advice! I don't have any furniture, so I guess I will mail or sell my stuff. :lol:

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Isn't it often much cheaper to just buy the furniture in situ, rather than move it all? (and same with a lot of the other items?)

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Furniture is freaking expensive, even used and off craigslist. If you're just looking for the best deal on craigslist you can get some shitty stuff cheap, but by the time you buy a mattress/boxspring/frame, couches, table, tv stand and bookcases, you're not saving a whole lot of money.

I rented a uHaul trailer and drove all of my stuff across the country (I had a lot of stuff though). I think that was $300-$400.

sphy

Post by sphy » Tue May 03, 2011 8:04 am

CarlBrannen wrote: I always read the wiki synopsis before I watch a movie...
How can you enjoy movie at all if you know the end of it?

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Tue May 03, 2011 10:27 pm

sphy wrote:How can you enjoy movie at all if you know the end of it?
LOL. If I'm going to see it in a movie theater, I try to not know anything about a movie. But if I'm going to see it at home, I learn the plot in advance so I can concentrate on getting stuff done on the computer while it plays.

By the way, I've never owned a TV and I generally find movies a lot of fun. If I did own a TV, I bet I'd waste huge amounts of time watching it.