I am doomed.

sphy

I am doomed.

Post by sphy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:03 am

Well, March is over. And it's just nothing changed since from February, in my life. Lately I am wait-listed at Oklahoma State, and a couple of rejections. One from my dream schools (NCSU). And from the rest: I don't know. I know from Grad Cafe and here, some fellows got admissions from those. Simply hanging on here just sucks and I don't know what concentration is now-a-days. I am checking my email (Maniacally) 24 times a day but it's is usually empty academic wise excluding a bunch of emails from a Sun-Heat deprived place, people call Buffalo.

Best of luck to all of my peers out here.
Though March is over, I have to March on I think.....
:idea: I think, I have to follow Great Rutherford in a reverse way and be a scarecrow in a Potato filed and be out standing there. :idea:

HappyQuark

Re: I am doomed.

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:59 pm

sphy wrote:Well, March is over. And it's just nothing changed since from February, in my life. Lately I am wait-listed at Oklahoma State, and a couple of rejections. One from my dream schools (NCSU). And from the rest: I don't know. I know from Grad Cafe and here, some fellows got admissions from those. Simply hanging on here just sucks and I don't know what concentration is now-a-days. I am checking my email (Maniacally) 24 times a day but it's is usually empty academic wise excluding a bunch of emails from a Sun-Heat deprived place, people call Buffalo.

:idea: I think, I have to follow Great Rutherford in a reverse way and be a scarecrow in a Potato filed and be out standing there. :idea:
I think March Madness would be a suitable term for the time in which your applications are either accepted or rejected and. Since that term has already been taken by college basketball, we could always call it March Shitiness.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
sphy wrote:Well, March is over. And it's just nothing changed since from February, in my life. Lately I am wait-listed at Oklahoma State, and a couple of rejections. One from my dream schools (NCSU). And from the rest: I don't know. I know from Grad Cafe and here, some fellows got admissions from those. Simply hanging on here just sucks and I don't know what concentration is now-a-days. I am checking my email (Maniacally) 24 times a day but it's is usually empty academic wise excluding a bunch of emails from a Sun-Heat deprived place, people call Buffalo.

I think March Madness would be a suitable term for the time in which your applications are either accepted or rejected and. Since that term has already been taken by college basketball, we could always call it March Shitiness.
Maniacal March preceeded by Fretful February and succeeded by Anxious April and the Decision Deadline. Gotta keep the alliteration.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:

Maniacal March preceeded by Fretful February and succeeded by Anxious April and the Decision Deadline. Gotta keep the alliteration.
But I like curse words so as long as we can come up with an M curse word, I've got one for A and F.

Dreaded Anomaly

Post by Dreaded Anomaly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:45 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:Maniacal March preceeded by Fretful February and succeeded by Anxious April and the Decision Deadline. Gotta keep the alliteration.
But I like curse words so as long as we can come up with an M curse word, I've got one for A and F.
Motherf...

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Dreaded Anomaly wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:Maniacal March preceeded by Fretful February and succeeded by Anxious April and the Decision Deadline. Gotta keep the alliteration.
Motherf...
I'm not familiar with the curse word Motherf. Is it, perhaps, of Russian origin?

tady

Post by tady » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Yes! Russian in origin, but not a curse word. Rather, it was the term used to refer to their motherland. It is similar to the term "Merican" in reference to an American. For example, "I'm Merican, so *** all them _____".

Dreaded Anomaly

Post by Dreaded Anomaly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
Dreaded Anomaly wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:But I like curse words so as long as we can come up with an M curse word, I've got one for A and F.
Motherf...
I'm not familiar with the curse word Motherf. Is it, perhaps, of Russian origin?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=motherf

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:19 am

It appears I've extracted myself out of doomed status. I looked around for a project that could use my skills to the maximum and applied to that school (very late). When I visited the campus I had an amazingly great time.

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:58 am

CarlBrannen wrote:It appears I've extracted myself out of doomed status. I looked around for a project that could use my skills to the maximum and applied to that school (very late). When I visited the campus I had an amazingly great time.
Congrats! I had no doubt you would find something.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:47 pm

t2kburl wrote:
CarlBrannen wrote:It appears I've extracted myself out of doomed status. I looked around for a project that could use my skills to the maximum and applied to that school (very late). When I visited the campus I had an amazingly great time.
Congrats! I had no doubt you would find something.
Really? Even after this
CarlBrannen wrote:Rejected at Princeton. Still no acceptances...
and this
CarlBrannen wrote:Stanford. (I'm doomed.)
and this
CarlBrannen wrote:MIT. I think I'm down to UT Austin and UC Berkeley.
and
CarlBrannen wrote:Sure enough, UCSB rejection.
also
CarlBrannen wrote:Harvard.

Still doomed.
additionally
CarlBrannen wrote:Caltech.

(Still doomed.)
as well as
CarlBrannen wrote:U. Washington

P.S. Still doomed.

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:29 pm

even after all that.

I figured if I could get in somewhere, Carl was a lock.

Never a doubted it.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Hey, I was just saying I was doomed in my original 9 applications. And in that set the score is 8 rejections and U. Texas, Austin.

The original "doomed" post:

I'm doomed! I need a really safe school? Who takes em late?
Argghhhhhh! It's superbowl Sunday! Nine applications and still no acceptances! Clearly I should have sent some applications to some easier to get into schools.
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3753

Replies:

kacsa8: I'd like to think that you've still got a shot to get in SOMEWHERE on your list (yes, I saw your posting)

zxcv: IMHO, you're still a pretty compelling candidate. Your record shows you can do science, and you might even be a better bet than some senior graduate students already in the programs you applied to.

bfollinprm: Remember the big blizzard that ravaged the country last week? Chill out, many top schools (like Berkeley) haven't even looked at applications yet.

kapil_ds: It's too early to freak out, Carl. I am sure that with your credentials, you will get in somewhere on your list. The non-traditional background makes it hard to predict where but you will make it somewhere.

Me: I'm sure I'll get in somewhere, but I do think my current applications are doomed. The lower rated schools have sent out their acceptances.

grae313: There aren't any. The bulk of admissions haven't even gone out yet.

WhoaNonstop: Obviously Carl has a very nice application as we all can see. I'm still taking this post as sarcasm even though Carl says it is not.

WhoaNonstop: Even with that, I still think you're jumping the gun a little bit. No one has even received a rejection from any of the schools on your list. Maybe your application has some scratches, but I guarantee you that your application is much better than many of the people applying to those schools. Even with your situation, I'm fairly certain you'll get accepted by one of your schools already listed. Maybe get the application for ASU ready, but I'm sure you'll have an acceptance by then, easily by the end of next week. =P

midwestphysics: Still, I wouldn't go crazy yet. Like said some schools have not made their moves yet so give it time. Besides, even if the first round went out I wouldn't be shocked if you were at the top of a very short list for the second round. Just be patient for now, I know there is a lot of good competition out there but you are a very interesting applicant if you ask me.

t2kburl: On the bright side, at least your list is not full of rejections. You just applied to schools that are apparently slower to select. Hang in there.

me: I knew I was in trouble when I hadn't heard back from U. Washington by then. And it isn't paranoia, it's simple deduction. That school was the lowest ranked I'd applied to, and it's a public school so it's important that my application was in-state. I understand my relative chances very well. It's over. For next year's statistics, you will see a bunch of red 990s.

axiomofchoice: For the record, I have not received anything from U. of Washington by Feb. 6, either, but by now I have a few good offers. Granted that I'm not in-state for Washington, but I still think you were too paranoid then and even now.

sphy: You are destined to go to a great school and time will answer this. Best of luck.

P.S. One of my many mottoes is "Hope is Not a Plan".

hubris

Post by hubris » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:48 am

march shitness
i approve this.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:09 am

Final end to the "I am doomed" story: I just got a TA offer at Washington State University for the fall 2011 session. This is a July 6 acceptance when classes begin on the 22nd of August.

So I did manage to dig myself out. It wasn't pretty, but I expect to have a great time.