Do i stand a chance for an ivy league

gowtham

Do i stand a chance for an ivy league

Post by gowtham » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi,
I am an indian student with a 2 year work experience in embedded systems.My undergraduation was in Electronics and communiation Engineering.My scores are PGRE-920,GGRE-V-740/Q-800 and one year research experience in quantum computation and information theory.
I am looking for grad schools in engineering or physics in my research areas. I have decent letter of recommendations.Do i stand a chance for an admission into the Ivy Leagues?

quizivex

Re: Do i stand a chance for an ivy league

Post by quizivex » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:18 pm

yep, brown and dartmouth... :lol:

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:20 pm

quizivex wrote:yep, brown and dartmouth... :lol:
Even at that, I think it will be tough. You should check profiles and try to make some comparisons. Unless you have an outstanding research record, any of the ivy league schools not mentioned will be very difficult to get into. There are plenty of non-ivy league schools that are just as good though. How about you look into those?

-Riley

tady

Post by tady » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:24 pm

There are lot of schools that are considered "public ivys" which are very good. Why does the name "Ivy League" matter anyway?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:49 am

tady wrote:There are lot of schools that are considered "public ivys" which are very good. Why does the name "Ivy League" matter anyway?
Because it's the most storied athletic conference in the United States.

Physics, probably not. Engineering, I have no idea. For Physics I'd apply to 4-5 schools in the 20-40 range, 3 in the 10-20 range, a top 10, and 2 safeties in the 60-80 range that fit your research interests. With that spread I'd say you have a 40% chance of going to a top 20 school, 90% top 40 school, will definitely get in somewhere.

Remember, there are MANY international applicants, and many of them from india. The strong competition for spots and the desire for cultural diversity means the application process for any indian student in america is a bit of a crap shoot, especially with funding issues schools are having regarding TAships. If you would have came in with a perfect GRE and a first authorship in Phys. Rev. D I'd only give you a 10% chance at a top 10 school.

sphy

Post by sphy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:38 pm

gowtham wrote:Hi,
I am an indian student with a 2 year work experience in embedded systems.My undergraduation was in Electronics and communiation Engineering.My scores are PGRE-920,GGRE-V-740/Q-800 and one year research experience in quantum computation and information theory.
I am looking for grad schools in engineering or physics in my research areas. I have decent letter of recommendations.Do i stand a chance for an admission into the Ivy Leagues?
Seriously No Body Knows. But I think you have terrific scores and If you are from IIT then I don't think you'll meet any obstacles, As far as it seems. But seriously Admission is just something more than just GREs.

All the BEst.

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:36 pm

So I know I am late with my response. But here are just some general thoughts.
It seems like an international student would have a better chance of getting into an Ivy League ( or any other private ) institution, than getting into a comparably ranked public one. From my understanding in a public university it is a lot more expensive to have an international student than a domestic, while in a private the costs are comparable.
Also I am sure you stand a pretty good chance with your scores.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:28 pm

kubikat wrote:It seems like an international student would have a better chance of getting into an Ivy League ( or any other private ) institution, than getting into a comparably ranked public one. From my understanding in a public university it is a lot more expensive to have an international student than a domestic, while in a private the costs are comparable.
Even if this is the case, it still doesn't kill off the fact that there are many international students applying to these schools over public universities. The average PGRE of an international at an Ivy league is very high. Look through the profiles and you'll see that they are nearly all 990. Plus, although research is important, Ivy league schools also want to provide a quality education to their undergraduates and I'm sorry to say, but a language barrier between teaching assistants and students is a huge deal. Private or not, getting into a top 20 school with anything lower than a 950 for an international male will mean the rest of their application being phenomenal. In the same case as domestics, in order to get into a better school, you need to apply to schools that less people are applying to, such as anything in the midwest, which has a lot of easier programs to get into cause nobody wants to go there. =P

-Riley