Visa processing

guthria

Visa processing

Post by guthria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:10 am

Indian students, when are you guys planning to start your visa application process? Do I need to wait for my i20 to arrive before I can schedule an appointment?

I heard that all the appointment dates get booked up really fast, and I would need to apply as early as possible...Would mid-april be resonable, do you think?

satyad18

Re: Visa processing

Post by satyad18 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:21 am

guthria wrote:Indian students, when are you guys planning to start your visa application process? Do I need to wait for my i20 to arrive before I can schedule an appointment?

I heard that all the appointment dates get booked up really fast, and I would need to apply as early as possible...Would mid-april be resonable, do you think?
Good that you pointed it out. I'm looking for answers to these questions too. As far as I know, one has to wait for the i20 before one can schedule an appointment. And are you sure that appointment dates get booked real fast? If true, one definitely will have to rush after getting i20 in mid-april!

SPat

Post by SPat » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:34 am

guthria wrote:I heard that all the appointment dates get booked up really fast, and I would need to apply as early as possible...Would mid-april be resonable, do you think?
I'm in a worse situation, most likely I'll be in Europe from may to mid-july (for an internship). So I guess I have to do this either before leaving (late april) or after returning (late July). In addition, it looks like I'm going to take atleast two more weeks to even decide between my offers. Any inputs?

guthria

Post by guthria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:46 am

eh, i really dont know that for a fact, satyad.

I looked on the consulate website, and they only seem to give the 'earliest available dates' which are for March. So I dont know how things look in the later months. It was just something I heard from someone, that the dates are a bit difficult to get, so I was panicking!

Spat, I think I'll have to wait atleast one more week to decide between my offers in any case too, and then have to give the school time to mail the i-20.

So...thought i'd ask around in the mean time if anyone had info!

guthria

Post by guthria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:04 am

and- AND- i'm confused about how to establish non-immigrant status. I mean, I want to return to my home country, for sure. But I dont own property, I dont have a business to take over and run, I dont even have a job for sure when I return. What am I supposed to show the Visa officers??

drunkscientist

Post by drunkscientist » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:09 am

Not a problem, especially if you have a full financial aid. I think having your parents in India would be good enough a reason to cite. I think applying sometime in July should be fine.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:18 am

guthria wrote:and- AND- i'm confused about how to establish non-immigrant status. I mean, I want to return to my home country, for sure. But I dont own property, I dont have a business to take over and run, I dont even have a job for sure when I return. What am I supposed to show the Visa officers??

Definitely the stupidest law in America. Why we would even want you to leave, after we educate you, I have no idea. But I went through something like this with a friend of mine; family is enough (especially if you've been living with them, but this is not necessary). Also, keeping an indian bank account is useful, but I wouldn't think necessary.

guthria

Post by guthria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:31 am

Ok... hopefully thats enough! I do have a bank account, at least! and my parents are here as well.

And maybe I can add that my pet centipede(s) and several congress-grass plants are depending on me for their survival, and I will have to return to look after them...

Thanks guys! :)

ashowmega

Post by ashowmega » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:09 am

drunkscientist wrote:Not a problem, especially if you have a full financial aid. I think having your parents in India would be good enough a reason to cite. I think applying sometime in July should be fine.
Exactly! When I came to the US for undergraduate education the only thing I presented to show that I will return to my country was a paper called something like "family relation statement" from a government secretary from my Village Development Committee. I did not show any financial document as the college I am attending is covering everything which was also mentioned in I20 as "Student Contribution: $0 ". I think this will be same in I20s from grad schools.

On another note, I20 is must for filing SEVIS application which you will need for visa interview where I20 is also required. You can book an appointment date, but you have to make sure you will have I20 on your hand by then. I would suggest having interview in May/June to be on safe side. July will be too close. People in my country get Visa quite fast but in some neighboring countries, there have been cases where they took about 60-70 days from the day of interview to issue Visa.

guthria

Post by guthria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 am

Ok...thanks! Yeah, I should try to interview by May/June- thats why i'm trying to get my other documents together in time... I dont know what I can show in lieu of a Family Relationship Document... will ask around some more too!

blacksl

Post by blacksl » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 am

Hello.
My wife going to change her VISA status to F1. Currently she is in F2.
Does any one know how long will it takes if we try to change the VISA within USA (without leaving USA)?

Thanks
BLACKSL

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:25 am

blacksl wrote:Hello.
Does any one know how long will it takes if we try to change the VISA within USA (without leaving USA)?

Thanks
BLACKSL
I don't know if she can. You have to show non-immigrant intent on an F1 (for some stupid reason) and therefore I doubt she'll pass trying to do so from the United States. I've never known anyone doing such a thing, however, so I could be wrong.

ashowmega

Post by ashowmega » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:35 am

blacksl wrote:Hello.

Thanks
BLACKSL
It might be possible. I found some info here:
http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/C2en.pdf
and others here:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... f3d6a1RCRD

US Citizenship and Immigration service says "We recommend that you apply no later than 60 days before your I-94 expires.".

guthria

Post by guthria » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:09 pm

And....... I still haven't been sent my i-20. To apply for a visa interview date, I need the SEVIS number on the i-20. I am in a blue funk. Is it too early yet to start panicking? Any other Indian international students who havent got their i-20s yet??

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:51 pm

Well, I've got my I-20 form. I think it arrives within one month from the date you accepted the offer. So if you're still in that period, there is no need to panic, else you might want to contact them and ask.

SPat

Post by SPat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 am

I heard rumors about the US consulate in Mumbai being closed for a few months? Anyone knows about this?

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:30 am

SPat wrote:I heard rumors about the US consulate in Mumbai being closed for a few months? Anyone knows about this?
Haven't heard much about it as I'm in the Chennai zone. By the way, I just happened to go through this site:
http://www.immigration-lawyer.com/news/ ... -reduction
The best thing will be to contact them and inquire about it.

Kaumz

Post by Kaumz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:51 pm

SPat wrote:I heard rumors about the US consulate in Mumbai being closed for a few months? Anyone knows about this?
I dont think so !! I know for a fact that they have already approved Visas for many Fall 2011 students !

PS: I have booked my Visa interview for May 10th at Chennai consulate.