Question From Spain

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

ibanez

Question From Spain

Post by ibanez » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:36 pm

Hello, I have a question and would like to know the opinion of the people in this forum; I have been reading some of it and a lot of people seem to know a lot!

I would like to know what my chances are for the following schools:
UCSD
MIT
NYU
Chicago
Cornell
BU
Washington University

I got a 780 (74%) on the physics GRE. Bit dissapointed since I studied a lot, but it was my first multiple choice test ever.

I think my american GPA would be around 3.5

I spent two semesters at BU as transfer student and took there eight graduate courses and left with a 3.71 for both semesters. Also did an independent study in Classical Dynamics with one of the professors there.

In Madrid, collaborated for a year at a surface science lab. Experiments there done with STM. Also helped in the upgrade of the machine to a better one.

2 letters from BU teachers and 1 from a teacher in Madrid.

Well, thats about it. I would love if someone could give me some feedback on this. It would help me sleep better.

Luis Ibáñez

PhotonGas

Post by PhotonGas » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:28 pm

You will probably get into one of your schools. Certinly you have the best shot at BU. Good luck

Bufalay

Post by Bufalay » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:35 pm

hmm if you want a comparison, my stats and stuff are on last years grad admissions thread. I had a slightly lower physics gre score and did get into Cornell...(Barely I think).

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:08 pm

@ ibanez

Wow, 8 graduate courses? How is that possible? Isn't that enough for a master's or PhD in the first place? How did you fit all of those in with your undergraduate work?

Regards

ibanez

Post by ibanez » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:39 pm

quizivex:

my university in madrid has an exchange program with BU. The program is simple: BU let me register in all the courses I wanted under the status of 'non-degree student'. I spent a year there and took the courses at BU that were closest to the ones I should have taken during that year (fourth of total of five) in Madrid. I initially did not expect them to be at the graduate level. I took QMI, QMII, Stat Mech, Intro. Solid State, Advanced Lab, EMI, Electronics, Class. Dynamics. Intro. Solid State, Adv. Lab and Electronics were more of a mix between seniors and grads.

luis