Physics in Vanderbilt & Dartmouth

mianfeidewucan

Physics in Vanderbilt & Dartmouth

Post by mianfeidewucan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi, guys! I want to know if the physics in Vanderbilt & Dartmouth is good enough. They rank not so high in U.S news, but Vandy is of course famous for its research, and Dartmouth is in the Ivy League. As an international applicant, I want to have your advice.

bfollinprm

Re: Physics in Vanderbilt & Dartmouth

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:11 pm

mianfeidewucan wrote:Hi, guys! I want to know if the physics in Vanderbilt & Dartmouth is good enough. They rank not so high in U.S news, but Vandy is of course famous for its research, and Dartmouth is in the Ivy League. As an international applicant, I want to have your advice.
Good enough for what? Can you get a research faculty position in the US with a degree from either of them? Probably only after much difficulty.

Can you have a great career? Yes.

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:01 pm

I was accepted to Vanderbilt last year. I really liked the school. The professors and the current students are very enthusiastic about their research. Everyone is very friendly and fun, the TA-ing is supposedly not bad either.
I decided not to go though, only because I hope to obtain a faculty job eventually, and I didn't like Nashville that much.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:14 pm

mianfeidewucan wrote:Hi, guys! I want to know if the physics in Vanderbilt & Dartmouth is good enough. They rank not so high in U.S news, but Vandy is of course famous for its research, and Dartmouth is in the Ivy League. As an international applicant, I want to have your advice.
Dartmouth is in the Ivy League but really has no significant research program. The fact that it even shows up in the top 100 is probably more a result of its name and Ivy League status than it is of its research quality.
Last edited by HappyQuark on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:42 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
Dartmouth is in the Ivy League really have no significant research program. The fact that it even shows up in the top 100 is probably more a result of its name and Ivy League status than it is of its research quality.
On the other hand, everyone outside of physics (insurance firms, investment banks, the ladies) have major crushes on Dartmouth men.