Can I still apply anywhere?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

jobias

Can I still apply anywhere?

Post by jobias » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:06 am

I've decided I want to work on a Master's degree first instead of going straight to a PhD Program, but I didn't apply to any schools for this. Are there any universities that are still accepting apps for MS degrees? I don't want to have to defer my studies for a year, I don't even know what I'd do for that time

artist

Post by artist » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:40 am

Were you accepted into any schools for the PhD program? Most schools have an option to get the MA after two years.

schmit.paul

Post by schmit.paul » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:08 am

yeah, i don't know too many physics programs that deliberately accept students for MS programs (most offer a sort of "decorative" MS after the completion of your graduate coursework and exams for some nominal fee)...you see more MS programs in applied fields and engineering, where industry jobs are more of the standard career path

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:25 pm

I was told when I asked my profs about it is that most of the top 50 programs only accept you for a PhD and give you a MS/MA degree as a bonus. What you can do is transfer after your have done your MS/MA at a different school. One of the grad students of the group I work with did that.

schmit.paul

Post by schmit.paul » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:40 pm

though if you do this sort of transfer, most programs will likely require you to pass their general exams before they'll grant you ph.d candidacy

artschoolapplicant

Post by artschoolapplicant » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:29 pm

Hawaii Physics.

They offer an MS and they are still accepting applications (though they are rolling admissions, so if you want ANY chance of funding get your stuff to them very quickly).

Beyond that, my advice is to look up a rankings list at phds dot org and begin at about the middle, working your way down, checking programs' app. dates and MS availability at gradschoolshopper dot com.

Hope that helps.