Admission from any Applied Physics programs?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

appliedphysics

Admission from any Applied Physics programs?

Post by appliedphysics » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Just wondering, anyone applied to any Applied Physics programs? Which schools did you apply to? Results? Thanks very much.

RabiFlops

Re: Admission from any Applied Physics programs?

Post by RabiFlops » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:15 pm

I applied to one (Stanford) and was accepted.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:47 pm

I know that nobody on here has heard back anything from Yale Applied Physics as I have been patiently waiting for them to rejoice upon my application. ;)

-Riley

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:52 pm

RabiFlops wrote:I applied to one (Stanford) and was accepted.
I applied to Columbia and Cornell. I haven't heard from either of them although I got an unofficial 'I doubt you'll be admitted into the Ph.D program but you will likely be a good fit for the Master's program' email from Cornell.

BrianFantana

Post by BrianFantana » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:20 pm

Accepted to Michigan and Harvard around two weeks ago, accepted to Stanford last week, still waiting on Cornell, if the grad cafe is to be believed acceptances are coming this week via snail mail

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:22 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
RabiFlops wrote:I applied to one (Stanford) and was accepted.
I applied to Columbia and Cornell. I haven't heard from either of them although I got an unofficial 'I doubt you'll be admitted into the Ph.D program but you will likely be a good fit for the Master's program' email from Cornell.
I tried to transfer my Cornell application to Applied Physics after my rejection and they said "whuteva fool"

-Riley

ticklecricket

Post by ticklecricket » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:45 pm

I got into Rice's Applied Physics program last week.

Still anxiously waiting on Cornell to send out some responses. Someone on gradcafe claimed they are sending them by post, so I have a new habit in addition to the constant inbox reloading.

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:16 pm

ticklecricket wrote:I got into Rice's Applied Physics program last week.

Still anxiously waiting on Cornell to send out some responses. Someone on gradcafe claimed they are sending them by post, so I have a new habit in addition to the constant inbox reloading.
Mine came in a "UPS Next Day Saver" with label printed on Feb 18th 10:10am. FYI.

ticklecricket

Post by ticklecricket » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:26 pm

cryingsun wrote:
ticklecricket wrote:I got into Rice's Applied Physics program last week.

Mine came in a "UPS Next Day Saver" with label printed on Feb 18th 10:10am. FYI.
BRB, gonna go sit in front of the door for the rest of the day.

appliedphysics

Post by appliedphysics » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:41 am

Congratulations to all that got accepted to somewhere. According to gradcafe, it seems like all the acceptances are sent out earlier than all the rejections. But of course, it might not hold true all the time.

skk

Post by skk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:04 am

Hey all,

It is nice to hear that all of you guys are receiving great news from graduate schools. May I please ask a question to those who have received acceptance emails from Stanford Department of Applied Physics on Valentine's day? :D Have you received official emails from the central graduate school and also the postal mail packet?

Thanks again everyone.

I hope that those who are still patiently waiting will hear good news in the near future!

tradster

Post by tradster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:19 pm

skk wrote:Hey all,

It is nice to hear that all of you guys are receiving great news from graduate schools. May I please ask a question to those who have received acceptance emails from Stanford Department of Applied Physics on Valentine's day? :D Have you received official emails from the central graduate school and also the postal mail packet?

Thanks again everyone.

I hope that those who are still patiently waiting will hear good news in the near future!
I received acceptance emails from Hideo and Paula on Valentine's day but I haven't gotten any other email/mail yet. Now I am worrying that maybe they put my email address on the mailing list accidentally...

skk

Post by skk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:09 am

same here.....

Captain_Slow

Post by Captain_Slow » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:51 pm

I haven't heard back from Yale Applied physics. From gradcafe it looks like a lot of people heard back already (Accepted or Rejected)...

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:08 am

Any info on Columbia applied physics? They had the earliest deadline of any of my apps, Dec 15th, and I haven't heard anything from them since then. Grad cafe lists 4 acceptances that all went out In late January or early February.

Also, I know that Cornell tends to offer an M.S. Degree as a fallback for those that don't get admitted to the PhD which makes me wonder how many other programs, Columbia in particular, do the same. I sent an email to the department asking this same question but I haven't heard back.