University of Maryland???Anybody...

ualritemate

University of Maryland???Anybody...

Post by ualritemate » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:28 pm

has anyone heard from Maryland yet...

krymelchen

International student

Post by krymelchen » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:20 pm

I am an international student and got an acceptance yesterday!

ebgphy

Post by ebgphy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:57 pm

krymelchen, can you give your application stats, scores to compare with myself, i am an international too but heard nothing from maryland...

krymelchen

scores

Post by krymelchen » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:57 am

I am an physics student from Germany. I have studied for 3 years in Dresden and Munich. My grades are perfect for Germany (1,0 in a scale from 1 to 6). My subject gre was not good, because I underestimated the importance (prepared for only 2 days)and because I have never done a multiple choice test before. I think I have good recommendations but nearly no research experience. I applied for the Physics Master program at College Park and I do have a Fulbright scholarship. Maryland offered my a TA position, I got an email from them(03.09). I do not know if this is of any consequence but I am female. They said in the mail that there were over 600 applicants and the incomming class would have about 25 students. I have read on their homepage (in some university journal) that they will make around 90-120 offers. Good luck!

ToefliBT 116 (out of 120)
GRE general: 800/570/4.0
GRE subject : 780

Richter

Post by Richter » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:55 am

I also got into Maryland. For my stats, please refer to that in the post "Fall 2007 PhD Applicants...."
Now I have only MIT and Berkeley left not yet replied..

ebgphy

Post by ebgphy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:22 pm

Thank God, at the end I got my rejection from Maryland :oops:
No room for sadness :lol:
What else I can do....

ebgphy

Post by ebgphy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:34 pm

@krymelchen,
if you don't mind I wanted to ask about Fulbright sch., in your situation, if you accept Maryland's TA offer and don't take any money from Fulbright during your PhD will you still be responsible towards Fulbright, since they have some rules, such as you have go back and stay at your homeland after you got your PhD, I wonder about it cos I am considering apply for it.
thanx

krymelchen

Fulbright

Post by krymelchen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:20 pm

You have to follow the rules even if you decline some money because they pay for a lot of things (flight, visa, health insurance, preparation seminars, tests, tuition, living expences) and the Fulbight program has the ambition to be more than just funding. They organize the visa (J1) and the homestay period is a part of those visa rules. You can only participate in the program when you use this visa. They warn you that even marriage does not exempt you from the hoestay period. You have to apply for the program in your homeland and you are not allowed to apply if you have a green card or an american citizenship. I do not know the rules of Americans going the other way. Which nationality are you? In Germany you have to apply in May for the the program to begin in the fall over a year later. I hope I could help you.

ebgphy

Post by ebgphy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:36 pm

I am from Turkey, and the deadline is the same, 2 May. I have seen their forms and got a feeling as if I will have no right to apply US univ. on my own, they decide everything, and sometimes I think that being in US in postdoc can be more helpful for me so I hesitate to apply Fulbright since I will have to stay in Turkey after PhD using this scholarship..Thank you for your replies...