Using multiple offers to play off schools?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

larry burns

Using multiple offers to play off schools?

Post by larry burns » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:51 am

Has anyone here played schools off each other if you get multiple acceptances? For instance if theres a school thats taking a really long time to make a decision about your admission, if you email them to say that you have other offers to respond to and ask if they please let you know, did you then shortly receive an email back later letting you know they now accepted you?

How about playing funding packages off each other? Say you want to go to school A but school B is offering you more money. Lets say you tell school A "I'd really like to go but B is offering better funding, is there any way you could match that or at least increase what you're offering me?". Will that work and you can get a better offer?

WhoaNonstop

Re: Using multiple offers to play off schools?

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:38 am

larry burns wrote:How about playing funding packages off each other? Say you want to go to school A but school B is offering you more money. Lets say you tell school A "I'd really like to go but B is offering better funding, is there any way you could match that or at least increase what you're offering me?". Will that work and you can get a better offer?
This won't happen. At least I'm highly certain it won't. Most schools fund students equivalently, minus the fellowships and what not. The only thing you'd be able to sway is them offering you a small fellowship or something on top of the "base" pay that all graduate students in the program get at that school, but that would surprise me.

However, I know I will be pushing one school on my list to guarantee me a research position instead of a teaching position my incoming year (in general first year research is somewhat rare). If they don't, then I'll probably choose another school. I think this falls under your "playing off schools" category.

-Riley

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:14 am

larry burns wrote:Has anyone here played schools off each other if you get multiple acceptances? For instance if theres a school thats taking a really long time to make a decision about your admission, if you email them to say that you have other offers to respond to and ask if they please let you know, did you then shortly receive an email back later letting you know they now accepted you?
No way. We all know about the April 15th deadline and we all know that everyone has other offers to respond to. This is a very busy time of year, and e-mails like that are just annoying.
larry burns wrote: How about playing funding packages off each other? Say you want to go to school A but school B is offering you more money. Lets say you tell school A "I'd really like to go but B is offering better funding, is there any way you could match that or at least increase what you're offering me?". Will that work and you can get a better offer?
This might work, but don't expect it to. Many schools can offer extra fellowships to a couple of students (typically 3K/year or so for a couple of years), and if they have one or two of these left, and really want you, then it might work.

Riley's idea of asking for an RA, or else the possibility of working this summer, can certainly work and is fair. Note, Riley, that many schools require teaching for a PhD, so you will eventually have to teach at some point....

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:44 pm

admissionprof wrote:Riley's idea of asking for an RA, or else the possibility of working this summer, can certainly work and is fair. Note, Riley, that many schools require teaching for a PhD, so you will eventually have to teach at some point....
Yeah, I realize this seems to be a fairly general trend. However, If I can recall correctly while looking into schools it isn't required by all. I think the main reason they have this requirement is due to the large need to teach the undergraduates and graduate students are their work force to do so. But I suppose I should definitely clarify this for the programs I'm looking at.

-Riley

SPat

Post by SPat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:35 pm

admissionprof wrote:This might work, but don't expect it to. Many schools can offer extra fellowships to a couple of students (typically 3K/year or so for a couple of years), and if they have one or two of these left, and really want you, then it might work.
Can you give an idea how one might go about doing this?

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:59 pm

SPat wrote:
admissionprof wrote:This might work, but don't expect it to. Many schools can offer extra fellowships to a couple of students (typically 3K/year or so for a couple of years), and if they have one or two of these left, and really want you, then it might work.
Can you give an idea how one might go about doing this?

Sure. Be honest. If another school has a substantially higher stipend, and you really think that makes a difference, then mention it to the grad admissions person. Just mention it as a concern (don't ask for more money directly). They'll know if there is anything that can be done.

And remember, the cost of living varies substantially from place to place. $25K in Palo Alto is less than $20K in St. Louis.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:41 am

SPat wrote:Can you give an idea how one might go about doing this?
Dear xxxxx,

i b trippin ova tha cash izzue at hand.

-Riley

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:15 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
SPat wrote:Can you give an idea how one might go about doing this?
Dear xxxxx,

i b trippin ova tha cash izzue at hand.

-Riley
iz be needin' mo green to make the scene