PhD in EE or Physics

jenbz47

PhD in EE or Physics

Post by jenbz47 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Hello,

I'm beginning to get offers from universities for PhD studies. I have applied to both EE and Physics departments and my BS is in physics. If I applied to EE it is because I preferred the research in that dept vs in the physics dept.

I have known professors to get PhDs in physics though doing research with EE prof and this didn't hurt them in the long run. However, I'm curious if readers have any insight as to what difference either degree would make for me in the future?

Any comments would be appreciated !

bfollinprm

Re: PhD in EE or Physics

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:00 pm

jenbz47 wrote:Hello,

I'm beginning to get offers from universities for PhD studies. I have applied to both EE and Physics departments and my BS is in physics. If I applied to EE it is because I preferred the research in that dept vs in the physics dept.

I have known professors to get PhDs in physics though doing research with EE prof and this didn't hurt them in the long run. However, I'm curious if readers have any insight as to what difference either degree would make for me in the future?

If you want to stay in academia, Physics is probably more flexible (more schools have physics departments than engineering schools). For industry, EE is probably more marketable, though Physics again has a more varied job market.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:35 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
jenbz47 wrote:Hello,

If you want to stay in academia, Physics is probably more flexible (more schools have physics departments than engineering schools). For industry, EE is probably more marketable, though Physics again has a more varied job market.
I'll second what was said here. In my experience you will find far more opportunity as a mechanical or electrical engineer in industry than you will as a physicist. In terms of job security I'll always recommend EE over physics. In terms of being happy with your life and the work you do, you will have decide if that is EE or physics.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:20 pm

bfollinprm wrote:If you want to stay in academia, Physics is probably more flexible (more schools have physics departments than engineering schools). For industry, EE is probably more marketable, though Physics again has a more varied job market.
On the other hand, the number of people looking for work as an EE prof is small due to the much higher pay available in industry. I would do a search on the number of job openings available relative to the number of applicants before I made a conclusion either way.

-----------------------------------
P.S. Still no acceptances. If someone knows of a department who needs a hot shot electronics engineer / grad student, PGRE = 990, please send them my way. I'm easy to find on the web. Works cheap. House trained. Doesn't shed much. Theory or experiment.

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Since it is looking like I'm not going to have a choice between the two, I've been investigating more about EE vs Astro. It is very clear to me that, if I ever intend to make any money, EE is the right way to go.
You will have to evaluate your own circumstances in this regard.