BS in Physics to Geology. Possible ?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

vezer

BS in Physics to Geology. Possible ?

Post by vezer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:20 am

I have no geology background whatsoever but am graduating with a BS degree in physics. I want to switch to geology (in gradschool) with a physics background. Is it possible ? I see some universities with PhD program in geology say that they accept students with non-geology background. I was wondering if I could hear from someone who've done something similar.

thanks a bunch

WhoaNonstop

Re: BS in Physics to Geology. Possible ?

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:16 am

vezer wrote:I have no geology background whatsoever but am graduating with a BS degree in physics. I want to switch to geology (in gradschool) with a physics background. Is it possible ? I see some universities with PhD program in geology say that they accept students with non-geology background. I was wondering if I could hear from someone who've done something similar.

thanks a bunch
Well, considering there are probably zero geology majors here, I doubt anyone can clarify if this is possible. I'm sure it is. However, I would assume that moving from physics to geology is a lot more probably than geology to physics.

-Riley

kapil_ds

Post by kapil_ds » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:40 am

I applied to earth and planetary science departments and during my research I came across plenty of physics majors working in geo-sciences. So, it is certainly possible. I think you can move into geophysics fairly easily. Just look at the websites of the geoscience departments and their graduate students and you will find the relevant examples.

Kapil

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:19 am

Perhaps you've heard of an interdisciplinary branch of science called geophysics,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geophysics

I'd assume that when looking for grad students, they look for both geologists and physicists.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:33 pm

I went to New Mexico Tech and they have a good geophysics program. I suspect that they'd take a physics student particularly in the study of seismology (which is about longitudinal and transverse elastic waves in rock that the geologists call P and S waves), but they're probably going to make you take some geology classes.
http://www.ees.nmt.edu/Geop/

Go ahead and give them a call. It's a small school and I'm sure you'll find a professor who will talk to you. In fact, call up their seismology professor, Richard Aster
http://www.ees.nmt.edu/aster/
and tell him that Carl Brannen NMT '76 BS math, '79 MS math, suggested that you ask him. Dr. Aster's undergraduate degrees are in physics and electrical engineering, then MS and PhD in geophysics and earth sciences.

I should mention that the mountains near Socorro, where you'd be doing the labs for those geology classes, are colder than a witch's nipple in winter. But the summers and early fall are the most pleasant climate on the planet.

-----------------------------------
P.S. Still no acceptances. If someone knows of a department who needs a hot shot electronics engineer / grad student, PGRE = 990, please send them my way. I'm easy to find on the web. Works cheap. House trained. Doesn't shed much. Theory or experiment.