2011 Rejections

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

grae313

2011 Rejections

Post by grae313 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Post, rant, lament, and cry here.

WhoaNonstop

Re: 2011 Rejections

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 pm

grae313 wrote:Post, rant, lament, and cry here.
Two weeks ago..

Yes, that is when I saw her. I was at the local gamestop and noticed a new employee there. She gladly helped assist me in finding the game I was looking for and also convinced me it was well worth the money. Her name was Kali and she had the most beautiful features. She was very knowledgeable about video game consoles and even showed signs of being attracted to myself. Alas, I was such in shock at her amazingness that I spaced off and forgot to ask for her number. Days passed by and I would drive by the gamestop hoping she would be working there, so I could have my chance at redeeming my mistake. Finally, just a couple of days ago, she was there! I strolled up to the store, looking fly, opened the door and made my advance on her. I made sure to make myself not too obvious, so I chatted to her about some of the upcoming video games. In the heat of the moment, I stepped out, took a chance, and asked if she'd want to make dinner plans, but unfortunately my fellow friends, rejected I was.

-Riley

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:05 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
Two weeks ago..

Yes, that is when I saw her. I was at the local gamestop and noticed a new employee there. She gladly helped assist me in finding the game I was looking for and also convinced me it was well worth the money. Her name was Kali and she had the most beautiful features. She was very knowledgeable about video game consoles and even showed signs of being attracted to myself. Alas, I was such in shock at her amazingness that I spaced off and forgot to ask for her number. Days passed by and I would drive by the gamestop hoping she would be working there, so I could have my chance at redeeming my mistake. Finally, just a couple of days ago, she was there! I strolled up to the store, looking fly, opened the door and made my advance on her. I made sure to make myself not too obvious, so I chatted to her about some of the upcoming video games. In the heat of the moment, I stepped out, took a chance, and asked if she'd want to make dinner plans, but unfortunately my fellow friends, rejected I was.

-Riley
I'm not that's not the type of rejection grae has in mind :roll: Please don't pollute this thread with insincere emotions.

signminus

Post by signminus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:26 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:Two weeks ago..

-Riley
Don't be too sad, Riley...I heard she had over 700 applications this year.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:40 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:
Two weeks ago..

-Riley
I'm not that's not the type of rejection grae has in mind :roll: Please don't pollute this thread with insincere emotions.
For what it's worth, I'd rather read this than the 25+ socially obligatory "yayyyyy, congrats on your admission" and "awwwww, we're so sorry to hear you've been rejected" following every acceptance/rejection announcement on the forum. Those pollute the thread more than a few clever jokes.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:14 pm

signminus wrote:Don't be too sad, Riley...I heard she had over 700 applications this year.
Dangit! I knew I should have applied for theory instead of experimental.

-Riley

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:18 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
signminus wrote:Don't be too sad, Riley...I heard she had over 700 applications this year.

-Riley
But experimental is MUCH more fun

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:43 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley
Now how does *that* work? :?

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:47 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:In the heat of the moment, I stepped out, took a chance, and asked if she'd want to make dinner plans, but unfortunately my fellow friends, rejected I was.

-Riley
Now that I'm an old man, I give those younger the benefit of observations amassed over a long time with great effort.

The best place to meet young ladies is at the county free venereal disease clinic. That way you (1) know that they're not too picky about who they go out with and so are less likely to reject you, (2) know that they put out, and (3) can be pretty sure that they're pissed off with whoever they've recently been with.

With my advice you can get your success rate up to around 10% or so. This is considerably better than most telemarketers.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:51 pm

CarlBrannen wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:In the heat of the moment, I stepped out, took a chance, and asked if she'd want to make dinner plans, but unfortunately my fellow friends, rejected I was.

-Riley
Now that I'm an old man, I give those younger the benefit of observations amassed over a long time with great effort.

The best place to meet young ladies is at the county free venereal disease clinic. That way you (1) know that they're not too picky about who they go out with and so are less likely to reject you, (2) know that they put out, and (3) can be pretty sure that they're pissed off with whoever they've recently been with.

With my advice you can get your success rate up to around 10% or so. This is considerably better than most telemarketers.
Carl, you Casanova you, aren't you going to warn them to wear protection?

In all seriousness though, if that's the type of encounter with the opposite sex one is after, why not just get a prostitute? Probably a lot less hassle.

SSM

Post by SSM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:02 am

hehe, this thread is great. I don't really care about grad school rejections anymore.

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:05 am

grae313 wrote:Carl, you Casanova you, aren't you going to warn them to wear protection?
Whenever I see a woman with a noisy baby I think to myself, "oh, thank God there's going to be someone to pay for my social security."
grae313 wrote:In all seriousness though, if that's the type of encounter with the opposite sex one is after, why not just get a prostitute? Probably a lot less hassle.
Grad students don't have that kind of money. Which reminds, I forgot to add another reason to lurk around the free county VD clinic; the women there probably don't have a lot of cash. Nothing harder to date than a woman who doesn't need money.

P.S. See:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/bas ... t-paid-sex

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:29 am

SSM wrote:hehe, this thread is great. I don't really care about grad school rejections anymore.
How'd that phone interview go with Yale Applied Physics? Hopefully they want to call me soon as well. So I can talk to them about my gamestop encounters.

-Riley

meichenl

Post by meichenl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:42 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
In the heat of the moment, I stepped out, took a chance, and asked if she'd want to make dinner plans, but unfortunately my fellow friends, rejected I was.
Even worse - I was rejected from the sperm bank. Having already given up on the fairer sex, I've now learned that I'm not even sufficiently competent at taking care of business myself.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:53 am

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSM

Post by SSM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
SSM wrote:hehe, this thread is great. I don't really care about grad school rejections anymore.
How'd that phone interview go with Yale Applied Physics? Hopefully they want to call me soon as well. So I can talk to them about my gamestop encounters.

-Riley
For me it didn't go so well. The main thing is that I told them that I wanted to work with a professor who is no longer at Yale. In my defense, he still does have a website at Yale, but I should have realized that it hasn't been updated since 2001. So I'd say you're chances at getting in there are now improved.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:16 am

SSM wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley
For me it didn't go so well. The main thing is that I told them that I wanted to work with a professor who is no longer at Yale. In my defense, he still does have a website at Yale, but I should have realized that it hasn't been updated since 2001. So I'd say you're chances at getting in there are now improved.
Oh wow, sorry to hear about that blunder. It seems they love "Engineering" styled backgrounds for their program though, so I won't be surprised if I don't get to talk on the phone as well, but we'll see.

-Riley

rims

Post by rims » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:21 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:It seems they love "Engineering" styled backgrounds for their program though, so I won't be surprised if I don't get to talk on the phone as well, but we'll see.
May I ask what do you mean by '"Engineering" styled backgrounds'?

tapauly

Post by tapauly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Rejected from Yale via email "check your application, a decision has been reached."

Xnei

Post by Xnei » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:58 am

tapauly wrote:Rejected from Yale via email "check your application, a decision has been reached."
I'm sorry to hear that. But I hope you will get admission soon.
Did you check your status via this site? http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/admi ... ation.html
No change, in my case.
Last edited by Xnei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

astrok

Post by astrok » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:41 am

Did you check you status via this site? http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/admi ... ation.html
I was also rejected from Yale yesterday, and that is where I checked my status (it links you to the online application). If you didn't receive an email yesterday telling you to check the status, they have probably not made a decision on your application yet. This is probably very good news for you :D. According to gradcafe, they handed out a lot of rejections yesterday.
Last edited by astrok on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:58 am

rims wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:It seems they love "Engineering" styled backgrounds for their program though, so I won't be surprised if I don't get to talk on the phone as well, but we'll see.
May I ask what do you mean by '"Engineering" styled backgrounds'?
I'm just saying that Yale Applied Physics in the past has taken people from Engineering or Engineering Physics programs or someone with a lot of background in equipment assembly. Not a whole lot of data points to show that, just a feeling. =P

-Riley

rims

Post by rims » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:08 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:I'm just saying that Yale Applied Physics in the past has taken people from Engineering or Engineering Physics programs or someone with a lot of background in equipment assembly. Not a whole lot of data points to show that, just a feeling. =P

-Riley
Oh, just realized that the whole discussion was about the Yale Applied Physics program. I had thought it was about the Physics program, sorry.

Xnei

Post by Xnei » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:16 am

astrok wrote:
Did you check you status via this site? http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/admi ... ation.html
I was also rejected from Yale yesterday, and that is where I checked my status (it links you to the online application). If you didn't receive an email yesterday telling you to check the status, they have probably not made a decision on your application yet. This is probably very good news for you :D. According to gradcafe, they handed out a lot of rejections yesterday.
It seems that a wave of rejection was for 'Astronomy' applicants, not for 'Physics' applicants. So people who have applied to 'Physics' have no idea about their status.

Sorry to hear your rejection. I hope good news will arrive soon. Cheer up!

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:01 pm

Officially rejected by U of Arizona Astronomy via email today. This is my first response from a school that required my PGRE. I'm expecting several more just like it. :roll:

Astro-K

Post by Astro-K » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:21 am

First rejection today--UT Austin in astro. Not really surprised--I actually applied to grad schools several years ago right out of college and got into a couple, including UT, but decided I wasn't ready for it and turned them all down. UT was one of those, and I suspect sour grapes, especially since I've improved my record (better PGRE, paper published) since then. Oh well, their loss!

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:45 pm

Another one bites the dust. Arizona - Planetary Science. They never saw my PGRE, and had a LOR from my NASA mentor, so this one is really disappointing.

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:06 pm

Another day, another rejection. University of Wisconsin - Physics.

hamadahoda007

Post by hamadahoda007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Rejected by UW Madison Physics..

SPat

Post by SPat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Rejected at UW-Madison, surprised and a bit confused (I already have better offers). Anyway, good luck to everyone.

TR137

Post by TR137 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Also rejected from Madison, which was my first decision.

I think they're cutting down the stack, so to speak. The only weakness I know of for myself is overall gpa (~3.6). Maybe the others rejected can confirm/falsify this?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:57 pm

TR137 wrote:Also rejected from Madison, which was my first decision.
I think they're cutting down the stack, so to speak. The only weakness I know of for myself is overall gpa (~3.6). Maybe the others rejected can confirm/falsify this?

I don't think there's much of a weakness at all. What I think is that Madison has funding issues, and didn't bother to tell anyone. I've never heard of them being so selective. I bet there are a few public schools like that (like the UC's) which are just hurting right now budget-wise.

I don't have a lot of data to back this up, other than the utter ridiculousness of some of their rejections this year (990's, multiple publications) that I've seen.
Last edited by bfollinprm on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

matto07

Post by matto07 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Madison accepted approx 12 percent of its 350 applicants last year (as reported in an APS catalogue of grad programs). Looks like they're continuing this trend this year.

Dream

Post by Dream » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:26 am

How to ask for feedbacks to rejected application? Is it appropriate to ask the professor mentioned in SoP for feedbacks?

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:38 am

Dream wrote:How to ask for feedbacks to rejected application? Is it appropriate to ask the professor mentioned in SoP for feedbacks?
It is appropriate to ask the graduate admissions person why you were rejected. I get roughly 3 emails every cycle asking. Sometimes it's an issue that the person can do something about, sometimes it isn't. The only time it's awkward is if there is something cautionary or negative in a letter, since those are confidential, so I have to be much more vague. A professor mentioned in the SoP may have no say with the committee, so that wouldn't be useful.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Dooo you really want to huuuurtt me.

Do youuu really want to make me cryyy.

-Riley

Dreaded Anomaly

Post by Dreaded Anomaly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Waitlisted at Cornell via email. Not sure if I'll stay on it.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:49 am

bfollinprm wrote: I don't think there's much of a weakness at all. What I think is that Madison has funding issues, and didn't bother to tell anyone. I've never heard of them being so selective. I bet there are a few public schools like that (like the UC's) which are just hurting right now budget-wise.

I don't have a lot of data to back this up, other than the utter ridiculousness of some of their rejections this year (990's, multiple publications) that I've seen.
Some grad student at UWM just posted confirmation of this on grad cafe.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:28 am

Well, Cornell will definitely be missing out! Rejected today. Oh well, I'll live.

-Riley

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:Well, Cornell will definitely be missing out! Rejected today. Oh well, I'll live.

-Riley
That's a common misconception because, in fact, you won't live.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:48 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:Well, Cornell will definitely be missing out! Rejected today. Oh well, I'll live.

-Riley
Not if you assassinate me.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:01 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
HappyQuark wrote: That's a common misconception because, in fact, you won't live.
-Riley
And I now begin to understand why some people try to keep their identities anonymous....happyquark intends to perforate torsos with titaniferous projectiles! I call control group (no bullets for me, plz).

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:01 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:

-Riley

-Riley
assassinate is such an ugly word. Let's just call it intentional manslaughter.

Goran15

Post by Goran15 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:29 pm

got my first answer - rejection from duke. And in the middle of the Arsenal - Barcelona game. Some people have no shame :D

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
bfollinprm wrote: I don't think there's much of a weakness at all. What I think is that Madison has funding issues, and didn't bother to tell anyone. I've never heard of them being so selective. I bet there are a few public schools like that (like the UC's) which are just hurting right now budget-wise.

Some grad student at UWM just posted confirmation of this on grad cafe.
I visited Madison today, and can confirm that they are very much hurting for funds and our new Governor's proposed budget is going to make things much worse!!!

Dreaded Anomaly

Post by Dreaded Anomaly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Rejected from Princeton.

Labienus

Post by Labienus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Dreaded Anomaly wrote:Rejected from Princeton.
+ 1
:cry:

cryingsun

Post by cryingsun » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:04 pm

+2 :?

hamadahoda007

Post by hamadahoda007 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:09 pm

cryingsun wrote:+2 :?
+3 :oops:

giga17