medical physics applicants?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

leedj23

medical physics applicants?

Post by leedj23 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:46 pm

I have applied to 3 medical physics programs (Penn, duke, columbia) for masters degree but haven't heard anything from that yet.. Is there anyone who's got an offer/rejection from those schools?

Kites

Re: medical physics applicants?

Post by Kites » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:29 am

I've applied to several medical physics programs, including masters, but not those 3. Interviews and such are starting to be sent out though as I have 2 scheduled already. Perhaps sometime soon?

sunkist7

Post by sunkist7 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:34 pm

I applied to Duke's medical physics program, but for PhD. I have been notified that I am a finalist for a Chancellor's Scholarship and am heading down to visit campus for a special visitation in two weeks. They said the regular visitation days for the other applicants are first weekend in March, so my guess is that they will start notifying in the next week or so. Just a guess though.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:31 pm

You guys better post your profiles on the profile thread and discuss about your admission in the discussion thread.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 pm

or else!!!@#$#@AWDR1!

Kites

Post by Kites » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:53 pm

pqortic wrote:You guys better post your profiles on the profile thread and discuss about your admission in the discussion thread.

How about no.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Kites wrote:
pqortic wrote:You guys better post your profiles on the profile thread and discuss about your admission in the discussion thread.

How about no.
Considering many people on this forum have helped answer many of your questions I think it would be helpful to others in the future if you posted your profile.

-Riley

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:38 pm

Kites wrote:How about no.
May I ask why not? If you're worried about anonymity, post it after all of your decisions are in. If you make any use of this forum, it's only right to pay it forward and help future applicants by enlarging the data pool. Since there are fewer medical physics applicants your profile is even more valuable to future students who might find themselves in a similar situation to yours.

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:31 pm

I can't say I blame them. My profile is not posted, either. Medical physics is a small field and just a few pieces of information can be enough to identify someone.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:37 pm

twistor wrote:I can't say I blame them. My profile is not posted, either. Medical physics is a small field and just a few pieces of information can be enough to identify someone.
Because there isn't an application thread for the year you applied? ;)

I understand the anonymity importance during the decision process but afterwards? :p

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:54 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
I understand the anonymity importance during the decision process but afterwards? :p

-Riley

Well, for me and you, our name is pretty much out there, but I can't put a face to Twistor, and maybe he wants to keep it that way (not for the sake of admissions, but for the sake of identity theft/future tenure decisions).

EDIT: I have a sneaking suspicion that Twistor is actually Adam Lindsay, the maker of LOLCODE
Last edited by bfollinprm on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:54 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
twistor wrote:I can't say I blame them. My profile is not posted, either. Medical physics is a small field and just a few pieces of information can be enough to identify someone.
Because there isn't an application thread for the year you applied? ;)

-Riley
My year was the first year to have one :P

As I'm sure you know from reading my comments on this site my personality is about as smooth as extra-coarse sandpaper. In order to be truly free to express oneself anonymity is practically a requirement.

Kites

Post by Kites » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:55 pm

quoted for truth

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Kites wrote:

quoted for truth
Just curious, what is your fear of being identified?

-Riley

****STALK ME OMGZ******
http://www.myspace.com/whoanonstop
http://www.facebook.com/whoanonstop
http://www.youtube.com/whoanonstop

ticklecricket

Post by ticklecricket » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:14 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
Kites wrote:

quoted for truth

-Riley

****STALK ME OMGZ******

I clicked on your facebook and we have a mutual friend. She most definitely does not go to your school. Did you do an REU in Florida or are you just stalking me?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:21 pm

ticklecricket wrote:I clicked on your facebook and we have a mutual friend. She most definitely does not go to your school. Did you do an REU in Florida or are you just stalking me?
Yes, I stalked you by secretly knowing you would click on my facebook link.

-Riley

Goran15

Post by Goran15 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:10 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley

****STALK ME OMGZ******
what's with all the physicists and music. Everyone I know is into singing, dancing, playing something. Doesn't anybody play any sport or something? And no, chess, cards and pin the tail on Marie Curie don't count.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Goran15 wrote:what's with all the physicists and music. Everyone I know is into singing, dancing, playing something. Doesn't anybody play any sport or something? And no, chess, cards and pin the tail on Marie Curie don't count.
I play Basketball/Soccer and might have been able to at the college level, but decided school was more important.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:41 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote: I play Basketball/Soccer and might have been able to at the college level, but decided school was more important.

-Riley
I played ODP soccer as well as a wee boy. Now I'm fat and out of shape. That's the way it goes when you spend your life at a computer and/or blackboard.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Goran15 wrote:what's with all the physicists and music. Everyone I know is into singing, dancing, playing something. Doesn't anybody play any sport or something? And no, chess, cards and pin the tail on Marie Curie don't count.
I played softball and basketball in HS and softball in college, and now I play in 3 softball leagues and 2 flag football leagues, as well as soccer and inner tube water polo :) I'm pretty sure I'm way more excited about playing flag football right now than I am about my research project :cry:

YodaT

Post by YodaT » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Goran15 wrote: what's with all the physicists and music. Everyone I know is into singing, dancing, playing something. Doesn't anybody play any sport or something? And no, chess, cards and pin the tail on Marie Curie don't count.
I do artwork/sketches (published some)... but I assume many physicist do that, too. Then again being artistic is not a special thing where I come from.

Goran15

Post by Goran15 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:25 am

Got to say I'm suprised at all the soccer players. :shock:
And they say it's not popular in US. :)
Since I'm from Europe I played soccer all my life. Still playing and working on getting back into game form.

I played ODP soccer
what is ODP?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:53 am

Goran15 wrote:
I played ODP soccer
what is ODP?
Stands for Olympic Development Program. US' version of academies from before the days of an established MLS.

And soccer is the most played sport in the US. It's just that no one watches it, or plays it past 12/rec leagues.

Goran15

Post by Goran15 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 am

bfollinprm wrote:
Goran15 wrote:
I played ODP soccer
what is ODP?
Stands for Olympic Development Program. US' version of academies from before the days of an established MLS.

And soccer is the most played sport in the US. It's just that no one watches it, or plays it past 12/rec leagues.
Really? Can't wait to see what you americans can do :)

p.s. on one application it said extracurricural activity and I was thinking about putting soccer but didn't. Was that a mistake? Would it help a physics phd application?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:07 am

Goran15 wrote:
p.s. on one application it said extracurricural activity and I was thinking about putting soccer but didn't. Was that a mistake? Would it help a physics phd application?

Only if the admissions chair put a high priority on beating the chemistry department in the interdepartmental turkey bowl.

leedj23

Post by leedj23 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 pm

somehow this tread is now full of sports kids :P
Any news from the medical physics applicants?:))

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:52 pm

bfollinprm wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley

Well, for me and you, our name is pretty much out there, but I can't put a face to Twistor, and maybe he wants to keep it that way (not for the sake of admissions, but for the sake of identity theft/future tenure decisions).

EDIT: I have a sneaking suspicion that Twistor is actually Adam Lindsay, the maker of LOLCODE
HAI
IZ TWISTOR LIEK ADAM
YARLY
VISIBLE "QFT!"
NOWAI
VISIBLE "ID FAIL!!1"
KTHX
KTHXBYE