Astronomy acceptances/updates 2010

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

vttd

Astronomy acceptances/updates 2010

Post by vttd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:00 am

The 2009 thread helped me a lot, so post your acceptances here!

Accepted to Penn State 1/29.

bfollinprm

Re: Astronomy acceptances/updates 2010

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:54 am

Rather, update your profiles under User Control Panel, that way you show up under the searchable results. Also update your (hopefully extant) post on the 2010 Admissions results sticky.

EDIT: Congratulations by the way, good to see you earn a worthy admission.

vttd

Post by vttd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:00 pm

I think the results page isn't very helpful for astronomy applicants because most of those profiles are for physics programs, and astronomy/astrophysics have different stats. I will definitely post my profile after I hear back from all of my schools because those profiles have really helped me over the years

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:15 pm

vttd wrote:I think the results page isn't very helpful for astronomy applicants because most of those profiles are for physics programs, and astronomy/astrophysics have different stats. I will definitely post my profile after I hear back from all of my schools because those profiles have really helped me over the years

Yeah, I agree. I've posted elsewhere where I think it would be a good idea to have a drop down Physics/Astronomy toggle, since even for physics majors, the odd astronomy scores gives the wrong impression sometimes at schools which have very different reputations between the departments.

tapauly

Post by tapauly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:00 pm

I've been keeping my 2011 Profile post up to date, but if you'd like them collected here as well:

Astronomy, applied under interstellar chemistry/star-forming regions/computation:

Cornell - Accepted 1-25
Caltech -
Yale -
Virginia - Accepted 1-26
Ohio State - Accepted 1-12
Texas-Austin - Accepted 1-13
Arizona - Accepted 1-28
Maryland-CP -

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:17 pm

vttd wrote:I think the results page isn't very helpful for astronomy applicants...
Well, until that gets adjusted, you can focus on the astronomy people pretty easily on the profile threads. People explicitly list the department they're applying to, so you can scan right through just the astronomy ones by using Find (ctrl-f).