Bilkent University

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

ssapple

Bilkent University

Post by ssapple » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Does anyone have any information about the physics graduate program of this university? Its faculty members look decent but any international reputation?

http://www.fen.bilkent.edu.tr/~physics/en/people.html

bfollinprm

Re: Bilkent University

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:01 pm

From what I know about the school they're trying to become the Harvard of the Arabic world. It's new though, and reputation spreads slowly. I doubt most people outside of the Middle East have heard of it, even in places like the EU. Companies with a big presence in Turkey will probably think highly of it, though.

hamadahoda007

Post by hamadahoda007 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:20 pm

I am from the Middle East and have never heard of it !

P.S. Turkey is not part of the Arabic World.. Turkey is not an Arabic country, they are Muslims though.. There is a Big difference between Arabs and Muslims.. Arabs speak Arabic and are not necessarily Muslims.. Muslims are the followers of the Islamic religion, most of them don't know Arabic ( just like Turkey ).. The biggest Islamic country in population is Indonesia which does not speak Arabic at all and is far from the Middle East..

Anyway, Here in the Arabic Region, we know nothing about this university..

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to be insensitive. I was repeating something a friend of mine from Georgetown said, who by location I thought was worldly enough to know. Stupid assumptions.

I doubt many have heard of Bilkent, since I think it only incorporated in the mid 80's. then again, not many people have heard of Olin, and it's a top engineering school for undergraduates.