times university rankings

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

ssapple

times university rankings

Post by ssapple » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:46 pm

The following link includes the ranking list made by "the times" of top 200 world universities. It is not only physics but overall university.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... p-200.html

So do you think it gives a general scope about the physics departments of these universities. Actually, I am looking for a ranking list of the physics departments of the world universities (not only US), but I could only find this. Does anyone has another source?

grae313

Re: times university rankings

Post by grae313 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:56 pm

ssapple wrote:Actually, I am looking for a ranking list of the physics departments of the world universities (not only US), but I could only find this.
You must not have looked very hard. A google search for "world physics university rankings" gives this as the fourth result.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:59 pm

grae313 wrote:
ssapple wrote:Actually, I am looking for a ranking list of the physics departments of the world universities (not only US), but I could only find this.
You must not have looked very hard. A google search for "world physics university rankings" gives this as the fourth result.
With this being said I think graduate schools should add something to the application and weight it heavily along side the GRE, Recommendations, and GPA. It would be something like this:

Are you capable of searching for something on the internet?

Of course, if one can not search, how would one possibly begin to "re-search"?

-Riley

ssapple

Post by ssapple » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:52 pm

yeah, i didn't look very hard but also wanted to learn any "reliable" source from you guys. i guess we are still "on the internet" at this forum so anything i ask here should be listed as "searching in the internet", although some people think that this forum is a theater for making stand up comedy show.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:38 pm

ssapple wrote:although some people think that this forum is a theater for making stand up comedy show.
That theater, my friend, is called life.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:39 pm

ssapple wrote:yeah, i didn't look very hard but also wanted to learn any "reliable" source from you guys. i guess we are still "on the internet" at this forum so anything i ask here should be listed as "searching in the internet", although some people think that this forum is a theater for making stand up comedy show.
I find this post very confusing. Why would you consider this forum "reliable" if you also believe it is for "making stand up comedy show?" Plus, even with that, I am sure there have been plenty of references to rankings on this forum, although I feel searching for rankings on this forum would be pointless if you have had the chance to search Google.

However, what you're wanting to know in this second post is indeed not the same as what you asked in the first post. If your first post would have been addressed, "Hey I've found these sites: A, B, C, D, and E that rank physics graduate programs. Which one do you guys believe is the most reliable?" then perhaps someone would have been of aid.

I would not say specifically that posting here is "searching in the internet." I would say that you posting here is "wanting someone else to search the internet for you." Unfortunately, I do not have the time to do so. Also, as much as my initial response seemed like a joke, I back it up with sincerity as I'm fairly certain being able to search for sources and gauge whether they are reliable will be a handy tool in graduate school. Just a gut feeling though.

-Riley

sphy

Post by sphy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:58 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
With this being said I think graduate schools should add something to the application and weight it heavily along side the GRE, Recommendations, and GPA. It would be something like this:

Are you capable of searching for something on the internet?

Of course, if one can not search, how would one possibly begin to "re-search"?

-Riley
Ha ha I think I should write something sort of:

Extra curricular activity: Efficient Google re/searcher with an uncanny ability to "Extract"(--Inception) many thing others are even unaware of existing.
:lol: