Citing the research literature in the SOP?

InquilineKea

Citing the research literature in the SOP?

Post by InquilineKea » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:19 am

I know that I shouldn't turn it into a lit review, so I shouldn't cite too much. But is it sometimes a good idea to cite the literature? (especially parts of the literature that really interest me?) What if I propose some ideas as well?

I know that I should mostly talk about what I *did*, but many people do put in a separate section describing what they also want to do.

grae313

Re: Citing the research literature in the SOP?

Post by grae313 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:33 am

Personally I don't think the SOP is the place to be writing a research proposal. You may have some good ideas but it's really not the right forum. I'd save that stuff for your fellowship applications.

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:03 pm

That's true. But what about simply citing a few papers just to show what you're most interested in? (although that would require a small footnote section) Or it might not, since I could simply say "X's [title] paper.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:59 pm

InquilineKea wrote:That's true. But what about simply citing a few papers just to show what you're most interested in? (although that would require a small footnote section) Or it might not, since I could simply say "X's [title] paper.
Yeah, I don't think they'll be super concerned about all the details of what you are interested in. Remember, although it is a statement of purpose for you, it is truly a statement of purpose for them. They would rather see why you will be successful in research rather than what specific research you want to do.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 pm

InquilineKea wrote:That's true. But what about simply citing a few papers just to show what you're most interested in? (although that would require a small footnote section) Or it might not, since I could simply say "X's [title] paper.

Just keep it simple. "Professor XX's research into Y really fits my interests in ...."

If you want to show you know much more about a particular professors research, and you have a strong attraction to it, you should email the professor directly. He/She will likely be the only person at the university to care about that level of detail in your research interests.

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:43 pm

Oh okay I see. Thanks for all the replies!
If you want to show you know much more about a particular professors research, and you have a strong attraction to it, you should email the professor directly. He/She will likely be the only person at the university to care about that level of detail in your research interests.
Ah yes that's definitely a very good idea.