Who's getting jittery?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

giga17

Who's getting jittery?

Post by giga17 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:46 pm

It is almost end Jan/start Feb...

t2kburl

Re: Who's getting jittery?

Post by t2kburl » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:18 pm

giga17 wrote:It is almost end Jan/start Feb...
I raised my hand. I am very nervous!

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:36 pm

giga17 wrote:It is almost end Jan/start Feb...
What?! We still have at least 15 days til it is "almost end jan" =P

-Riley

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:44 am

if (January.Day_of_Month < 0)
{
String jitteriness = "none";
boolean is_almost_end_of_month = false;
}
else if (January.Day_of_Month >= 1)
{
String jitteriness = "a lots";
boolean is_almost_end_of_month = true;
}

Done too much programming recently. On the serious note, programming has been distracting me from the waiting game, which I guess is a good thing, though I started to get just a little bit worried about the completeness of my materials since I received no confirmation from any schools, including those that say they will send an email if application materials are complete. :roll:

EDIT: wow I need sleep. No brackets after if ???!!!
Last edited by axiomofchoice on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Duck

Post by The_Duck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:07 am

Code: Select all

>javac Temp.java
Temp.java:9: not a statement
  ^
Temp.java:9: ';' expected
        ^
Temp.java:11: 'else' without 'if'
  else if (January.Day_of_Month >= 1)
  ^
Temp.java:12: not a statement
  ^
Temp.java:12: ';' expected
:(

Astro-K

Post by Astro-K » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:08 am

Ugh, me! I had a missed call from a number I didn't recognize this morning, and got jumpy. Of course it was just my cell phone company. The next few weeks will be tough...

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:13 pm

I don't think "jittery" is the word at all. It's no where near sufficiently acute.

With me, it's worse. I've got some websites that I run and I have various papers and stuff on there. And so when someone googles my name I know about it. Then I can look up their geographic location from the IP address. So far nada, unless this location is from someone at Caltech working from home in a cheap part of LA:

http://ip-address-lookup-v4.com/lookup. ... .30.11.233

And I keep getting hits from this address even though I haven't applied for any schools outside the US:
http://ip-address-lookup-v4.com/lookup. ... .242.18.21

P.S. (g)

axiomofchoice

Post by axiomofchoice » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm

CarlBrannen wrote:I don't think "jittery" is the word at all. It's no where near sufficiently acute.

With me, it's worse. I've got some websites that I run and I have various papers and stuff on there. And so when someone googles my name I know about it. Then I can look up their geographic location from the IP address. So far nada, unless this location is from someone at Caltech working from home in a cheap part of LA:

And I keep getting hits from this address even though I haven't applied for any schools outside the US:

P.S. (g)
You got lucky that Google result for your name shows mainly results for you. Whenever I google myself, about 5% of the first few pages is actually me, and that includes random Facebook pages of people whom I'm friend with. Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:30 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:
CarlBrannen wrote:I don't think "jittery" is the word at all. It's no where near sufficiently acute.

P.S. (g)
You got lucky that Google result for your name shows mainly results for you. Whenever I google myself, about 5% of the first few pages is actually me, and that includes random Facebook pages of people whom I'm friend with. Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.
Ehh, If you google my real name you'll find maybe 2 - 3 news articles about basketball in high school. If you google whoanonstop on the other hand... ahaha, plenty of pages. ;)

-Riley

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:01 pm

I deleted my myspace account after reading this thread. Just in case.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:29 pm

kubikat wrote:I deleted my myspace account after reading this thread. Just in case.
Ha! If a school is going to judge my ability to excel in their physics program on account of my myspace page then I don't have any reason to attend that school. Although I do enjoy physics, I do not live and breathe it to the point that it destroys everything else in my life.

-Riley

kubikat

Post by kubikat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:01 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote: I do not live and breathe it to the point that it destroys everything else in my life.
I won't let it destroy everything in my life. I am keeping my facebook /determination/. :mrgreen:

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:16 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:Although I do enjoy physics, I do not live and breathe it to the point that it destroys everything else in my life. -Riley
What!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

During your life, God will piss on your leg thousands of times but he only actually drowns you once. (Stephen King)

The only joy in life is love.

To enjoy life, you must maintain a state of love.

As a target of your affections, physics is excellent in that she is always available. However, many other worthies pursue her also.

Mother Nature is a bitch.

To show Physics that you love her, you must treat her as you would a woman. Put her up on a pedestal and let her *** on you. (Norm Skeels)

Spending all your time thinking about physics isn't enough. You must also actively pursue her. You do this by working out problems and attempting to apply mathematics in order to better understand her intimate curves. If you do this 12 hours each day you will find that (1) you are very happy, and (2) you will get a 990 on the physics GRE.

P.S. Just thought you should know. Also, someone found my website yesterday while googling for "time machine blueprints":

99.141.24.81 - - [11/Jan/2011:19:27:04 -0800] "GET /MidTower.JPG HTTP/1.1" 200 122813 "http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tim ... blueprints" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB6.6; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; HPDTDF; ShopperReports 3.0.485.0; SRS_IT_E8790270B076555332A993; .NET4.0C)" "brannenworks.com"

giga17

Post by giga17 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:04 pm

WHY ARE THERE 24 HOURS IN A DAY??!!!

Ok rant over.

I need a nice meal.

kapil_ds

Post by kapil_ds » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:41 pm

I just checked my linkedin account and it showed that some one from harvard university visited my profile in early Jan. The list of 'suspects' includes an astronomy prof. and an earth & planetary science prof. So, yes, apparently your name can be googled and what ever you have up on the web can be checked.

Kapil

sphy

Post by sphy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:52 am

WhoaNonstop wrote: Ha! If a school is going to judge my ability to excel in their physics program on account of my myspace page then I don't have any reason to attend that school. Although I do enjoy physics, I do not live and breathe it to the point that it destroys everything else in my life.

-Riley
Dear Riley good spirit indeed. I have a beautiful link for you for this Happy February.

http://www.ted.com/talks/garrett_lisi_o ... thing.html

Inspiring guy he is!!!!! Every body should watch this, this presentation itself is beautiful, so also his fascinating life style with his girlfriend.

Best of life to all of you.
We are here to enjoy life as Gift of God with extra curricular activities like Physics. Don't reverse.!!
Hope I don't hurt any body.
If I did then Please excuse me.

Best regards....

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 pm

giga17 wrote:WHY ARE THERE 24 HOURS IN A DAY??!!!

Ok rant over.

I need a nice meal.
I don't think a single sentence utilizing only capital letters and reckless use of exclamation points constitutes a rant.

Goran15

Post by Goran15 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:54 am

just resisted the urge to post something along the lines of "hurry the f up" on one schools official facebook page. :?

tychobrahe_1

Post by tychobrahe_1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Gah! I wish I would hear back from Gradschools already! The wait is driving me insane :shock: