Imigrate to USA & need suggestions to apply for Grad schools

behnaz

Imigrate to USA & need suggestions to apply for Grad schools

Post by behnaz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:35 pm

I have moved to USA for about 3 month from Iran and I graduated in July 2010 in Iran. In spite of all difficulties that I have had due to immigration, I found out I should take GRE Physics in October in order not to lose my opportunity for admission to grad school for next year.
My plan is to continue in astronomy for PhD. But according to my scores, I rather apply for master in Physics or if possible in astronomy. Can anyone help me which universities or colleges I can apply and get admission ?

My scores are:
PGRE : 540 (I have also register for the next exam in April)
GRE Q : 660
GRE V : 230

I am really worried and upset these days :( . It would be a great help for me if anyone suggest me what to do in my situation.

Thanks,

Behnaz

WhoaNonstop

Re: Imigrate to USA & need suggestions to apply for Grad schools

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:44 pm

behnaz wrote:My scores are:
PGRE : 540 (I have also register for the next exam in April)
GRE Q : 660
GRE V : 230
Two options really:

1. Find the lowest ranked schools in the nation. Preferably ones that don't need the PGRE score. Apply to these and hope for the best.

2. Wait and retake the PGRE AND the GRE, but make sure you put forth a lot of effort to do better.

Do you have an undergraduate degree or equivalent in Physics? Were you active in any research? If you did zero research, then any chance at admittance to a Doctorate program may be very slim.

-Riley

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:08 am

you can apply to some of the schools that don't require pgre like ones listed here:
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... 518#p17518

or you may wait one year and apply for 2012. I don't think taking April test is a good idea. if you decided to hold off, take the test in October and get prepared for it during the summer.

behnaz

Post by behnaz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Thank you for your helps :wink:

I have found some universities that has master program and doesn’t have any GRE requirements in California State Universities. Is it a good idea to start in CSU and at the same time practice for PGRE? I think I can get so much experience and have better situation to apply for Phd. what do you think?

Also, I have so many experiences in astronomy and also I was an academic marker of International Astronomy and Astrophysics Olympiad in 2009. I think I can get better grad because I only study 1 month for PGRE.

behnaz

Post by behnaz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Also do you know where can I find the rank of any universities? (Not only the top ones)

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:25 pm

try searching this forum for "rankings"...

ashowmega

Post by ashowmega » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 pm

or you can also look up at the tail of USNews ranking.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 pm

behnaz wrote:Also do you know where can I find the rank of any universities? (Not only the top ones)
I think maybe you should rethink this graduate school thing if you are asking help in this.

-Riley