Wait a year?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bchase

Wait a year?

Post by bchase » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:31 pm

Hi,
I am currently a senior and am looking into my options for the future. I know I want to go to graduate school and I don't feel burnt out or anything, but I am curious what people think about taking a year off before going? Will it be any harder to get in if you wait a year?
Thanks.

ketur90

Post by ketur90 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:57 am

After I graduated I did feel burned out (school, job, and marriage all at once have that effect.) I wanted to go to grad school but at the time thought about maybe taking a year off first to maybe try my hand in the Physics industry. I figured that would give me a better idea if a B.S. was enough or if a graduate degree would be the better route to go.

A year and a half later I can tell you, if you are not feeling burned yet, do not take a year off. While it can be relaxing, it is difficult to find a job with only a B.S. (in the Physics field at least.) Also, there is the saying "use it or loose it." Your Physics knowledge will quickly empty from your mind if you are not using it frequently. While this is ok if you do not intend to go to grad school, you mentioned that you do want to go. Re-entry will be more difficult if you have to re-learn everything (and you will have to.)