E-mail etiquette

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

schwiss

E-mail etiquette

Post by schwiss » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:39 am

A short question regarding U.S. social norms.

I use a salutation of "Dear Professor X" in my suck mails. Usually they do reply with a "Dear George" salutation. Is it okay/expected for me to use the first name salutation also after that?

WhoaNonstop

Re: E-mail etiquette

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:44 am

To be completely safe I wouldn't.

I would always go by Dr. Last Name unless they specifically said not to. (As for when I'm a professor, I will insist on my first name only)

-Riley

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:52 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:To be completely safe I wouldn't.

I would always go by Dr. Last Name unless they specifically said not to. (As for when I'm a professor, I will insist on my first name only)

-Riley
Ok, thanks. I will insist on George only.

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:31 am

schwiss wrote:A short question regarding U.S. social norms.

I use a salutation of "Dear Professor X" in my suck mails. Usually they do reply with a "Dear George" salutation. Is it okay/expected for me to use the first name salutation also after that?
I know less of the U.S social norms, but IMO, addressing the professor as Dr. Last Name/ Prof. Last name looks decent.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:37 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:To be completely safe I wouldn't.

-Riley
This is correct. I get plenty of suck e-mails, and either Dr. or Prof. is best. Sometimes Mr./Ms. is ok, and that isn't unusual for foreign students. First name seems awkward, even though I tell all of our current graduate students to call me by my first name (but I don't insist---most Asian cultures tend to resist first names for professors).

But then why do professors often respond with the first name? Well, suppose I were to get an e-mail from someone named Riley? I can't use Dr. or Prof., so the only option is Mr./Ms. But which is Riley? If I guess wrong, it is very embarrassing. So I will often respond with the first name, which is safer.

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:19 am

admissionprof wrote:This is correct. I get plenty of suck e-mails, and either Dr. or Prof. is best. Sometimes Mr./Ms. is ok, and that isn't unusual for foreign students. First name seems awkward, even though I tell all of our current graduate students to call me by my first name (but I don't insist---most Asian cultures tend to resist first names for professors).

But then why do professors often respond with the first name? Well, suppose I were to get an e-mail from someone named Riley? I can't use Dr. or Prof., so the only option is Mr./Ms. But which is Riley? If I guess wrong, it is very embarrassing. So I will often respond with the first name, which is safer.
Dear Prof. admissionprof,

This makes perfect sense.

Best regards,
George

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:46 am

The usual rule of thumb is to address professors by their first name only if that is how they sign their own name. So I address my first message as "Dear Professor."

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:08 am

Is it out of line to email a professor just to inquire about their music preferences?

-Riley

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:58 am

I use a salutation of "Dear Professor X"
Dear Professor X,

Please tell Wolverine I said, "hi." Also, Jean Grey is hott!!!11 lol

thx,

twistor